compare to portfolio

Jeanne
Jeanne Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Total investment account value is different from what the broker shows altho quicken says that the portfolio is in agreement. The discrepancy is caused by quicken assigning different prices to securities. Can I get quicken to take prices from the broker so that right after I update I can see the same total value of the account on the broker's web site and in quicken? I recognize that prices change all the time and I won't be in synch with the broker all the time. But when downloading data from a broker, can't that data include prices instead of getting them from someplace else? Thanks for any info or advice.
Jeanne
(Quicken Deluxe 2019, ver. R15.18)

EDIT: Upon further study, I realize that my original message is not the whole story. The broker is  adjusting the bonds for accrued interest. So the total discrepancy is much smaller than I thought. Still, a handful of prices are different -- 2 mutual funds and 1 bond (out of total 17 positions). It does not surprise me that such prices can vary. Still, it would be nice to sometimes see the same total value (right after updating the account). Or it would be nice if quicken could make it easier to see the source of the difference (i.e., something more of a reconciliation function). Anyway, thanks again for any suggestions about controlling what share prices are used if at all possible.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    R15,18? Cuánto es esto?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I haven't tried this, but it should work.

Quicken actually gets its prices from three sources.
    1. Downloaded from their service provider.
    2. Downloaded from the financial institution, along with transactions.
    3. Manual entry, either entering the prices or entering a transaction that has a price.
    If you go to the security list and deselect downloading of transactions for that security, that should leave only #2 and #3.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    While in the broad sense prices do change all the time, in your case, not so much.  Mutual fund prices only change at the end of the day.  Bond prices (that I get download from the brokerage) only change once a month.  So you should be able to get good agreement.  

Your note about accrued interest on the bond values is relevant.  The brokerage is not likely to include that in the bond prices they send, so you need to recognize and compensate for that adjustment.  There is no built-in spot for Quicken to recognize that adjustment.

For the mutual fund prices, you need to make sure you have the ticker symbols right on the fund.  I have on rare occasion seen the data supplier provide a different Net Asset Value (NAV, or price) than the MF company, but that is 1-in-a-thousand (or 100,000).  Also, if this is a 401k type of holding, there may be some misunderstanding on the actual MF holding.   
  • Jeanne
    Jeanne Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thank you both. As it turns out, both mutual funds are closed-end funds so their prices do change more often. In both cases, the security was mis-identified. I changed the name and ticker symbol, checked the price and we were back on track with one and only a penny a share off on the other. So that helps. This was a first-time set-up of the account, so with luck it won't happen again or, if it does, I'll know about one more place to look.

De-selecting securities for update is less than ideal and doing so one-by-one is pretty cumbersome. I'm happy to know about it for trouble-shooting purposes, but I've looked in the list of securities ("Value" view) and "Security Detail View" and "Edit Security Details" but don't see the option. Can you give me a little more direction?

Very grateful,
    Jeanne
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jeanne said:

Thank you both. As it turns out, both mutual funds are closed-end funds so their prices do change more often. In both cases, the security was mis-identified. I changed the name and ticker symbol, checked the price and we were back on track with one and only a penny a share off on the other. So that helps. This was a first-time set-up of the account, so with luck it won't happen again or, if it does, I'll know about one more place to look.

De-selecting securities for update is less than ideal and doing so one-by-one is pretty cumbersome. I'm happy to know about it for trouble-shooting purposes, but I've looked in the list of securities ("Value" view) and "Security Detail View" and "Edit Security Details" but don't see the option. Can you give me a little more direction?

Very grateful,
    Jeanne

Can you give me a little more direction? 
    The Security List - Ctrl-Y
  • Jeanne
    Jeanne Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jeanne said:

Very grateful,
    Jeanne

Aha. I drilled right through that down to the security details. De-selecting is much much less cumbersome than I feared. So double thanks.

Jeanne
This discussion has been closed.