Quicken has incorrect balances for TDAmeritrade IRA

Options
SandraStowell
SandraStowell Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
My TDAmeritrade IRA shares & cash balances
are incorrect. All buy & sell is done by TDA to rebalance or as
needed for cash distributions.  I have no idea how to get my Quicken
balances corrected!  I download from Quicken and often get alerts about
things not matching (usually small amounts), and lately I have elected
to have Quicken "enter a placeholder". Is this a bad idea?  
This has happened before, and I have had to recreate the account and lose history.  I can enter the cash balance manually, but I don't know how to update the Shares / Securities ... and if I try Reconcile the Shares Quicken says that the Quicken account & Brokerage Holdings are in agreement.
Why is this such a problem? 
Would be nice to see actual transactions & holdings, etc. BUT ALL I REALLY NEED IS CORRECT TOTALS. Is that an option?

Quicken 2019 for Windows, R15.18
PTArtist.com

Comments

• K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I had problems w/ TDA downloads such that I stopped downloading transactions from them.

Regarding placeholders, it's not a "bad" idea but if you're trying to keep everything in balance it's better to figure out the problem when it first occurs and correct the shares, price, etc.

Ultimately for my IRAs I went to updating the overall account balance once a month and stopped entering individual transactions all together.  So I have no shares or transactions but it's less hassle and given buy/sell transactions in an IRA don't have tax consequences this was the best choice for me.
This discussion has been closed.