Transactions Aren't Saving

Options
Q19 R16.14
I've tried entering a transaction manually several times, saving, and it's gone when I reopen. 12/16/18

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Can't Save Transactions.

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hi @ John Susman ,

In the Gear for Register Columns, does "Action buttons"  have a Check next to it?

If not, place a check mark next to it.

This will show Save on the highlighted Register Line you are working on. Or on the Empty Transaction Line.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi @ John Susman ,

In the Gear for Register Columns, does "Action buttons"  have a Check next to it?

This will show Save on the highlighted Register Line you are working on. Or on the Empty Transaction Line.

'Action buttons' was checked and there is a 'save' button on the action line. I (just now) entered a test transaction with splits, and it appears to save OK (close, reopen). The transaction that was failing me was a Citi card payment with numerous splits, entered and saved several times and disappeared. I read there was a Quicken issue with Citibank (or Citi-something) but I wouldn't think this was a related issue. Could the issue be intermittent? Thanks for your assist.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi @ John Susman ,

Why are you recording a credit card payment transaction with numerous splits?
    Credit card transactions are normally recorded in their own, separate credit card account register, as they occur.
    The monthly credit card payment is then reduced to a simple transfer from your Checking account to your credit card account.

Note: Split transactions can have about 250 split lines. There used to be a problem with splits when the same category was used more than 30 times within that one transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi @ John Susman ,

I take the time to enter 'details' because it's easier to search for an expense. Thanks for the info on the previous issue with splits, though. That might be reason enough to stop doing that!
  • thecreator
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi @ John Susman ,

Hi @ John Susman ,

I had thought you were entering Credit Card Charge Details in the Credit Card Register Account.

Then when it comes time to pay the Credit Card Bill, it is shown as a Transfer in the Category Field to the Credit Card Register, from the Checking Account Register.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi @ John Susman ,

Ah - I'm not even familiar with that CC Register! Thanks! 
  • thecreator
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi @ John Susman ,

Hi @ John Susman ,

Also make sure that you do Manual Backups, after making changes to your Data File, just in case something happens. My Manual Backups are Backed up to a Networked-attached Hard Drive, central to all my computers.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Nice article, thank you for the link. I cannot find any "filter" settings on my register.  Your article is about 5 years old, maybe Q19 is a different animal?  I have it set for Auto-backups every time I close, but I'll do Manual as suggested.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Nice article, thank you for the link. I cannot find any "filter" settings on my register.  Your article is about 5 years old, maybe Q19 is a different animal?  I have it set for Auto-backups every time I close, but I'll do Manual as suggested.

They haven't changed, but if you are looking for "filters" you will not find them here is what they are talking about:
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Oh, duh... I was looking too deep, they're right out front.  They are all set as needed, and sort is OK, too.  I need to load that Citi transaction again and report back.  I don't remember transactions disappearing like this before.  Maybe it's just a gremlin.  Thanks again!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options

John,
    about the text in this FAQ. You're right. It is old, but it still is correct and had been revised only last month, Nov. 2018
    I have just refreshed the text again, to get past the poor text formatting left over from a system conversion a few years ago. And I borrowed QPW's image about the filter fields.
    Thanks, all of you, for contributing.
This discussion has been closed.