quicken 2019 windows creates duplicate option holding in security list, How do i prevent this?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I sell covered calls. I received the downloaded option from my bank, which sends a generic name for the option. I rename the option giving it expiration date and strike price. I do this for each call I sell. Anytime I click on the account in the register, quicken cycles through my list of options, and I click the selection, " I have renamed the option" for each option. Then I go into my security list and see quicken has added the default name from the bank, and ignores my "I have renamed this security" and adds the option with the generic bank name. so I get a duplicate, but I now have two names for the same option. 

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    HI @ Brad Dahl ,

Have you added Renaming Rules for your Options? I asked because I don't do Options.
    Have you unchecked "Automatically add to investments transaction lists" in Downloaded transactions in Preferences?

See this Article:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    my investment transactions are downloading fine. I get no duplicates. renaming rules do not apply, the option is not a "payee". example: I have 5 covered call options, all renamed with expiration dates and strike price. Just getting a dividend on one of the stocks, quicken bring up a "matching security window" and states the banks name of the option, and asks if is the same as the renamed option I have from the security list. for each of the five options, I click on "yes this is the same security as the banks name and I click, "do not add the option (with the original banks name) to quickens security list. Then I view quickens security list, and it has added the banks names for each of the 5 options again to my security list, even though I checked do not add to the security list. I will have now 5 pairs of the options, and each pair as the same unique CUSIP, so I have to delete the duplicates. This will also happen each time I just click on the account, even if there are no transactions to download. 
    thank you! 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    BD305 said:

my investment transactions are downloading fine. I get no duplicates. renaming rules do not apply, the option is not a "payee". example: I have 5 covered call options, all renamed with expiration dates and strike price. Just getting a dividend on one of the stocks, quicken bring up a "matching security window" and states the banks name of the option, and asks if is the same as the renamed option I have from the security list. for each of the five options, I click on "yes this is the same security as the banks name and I click, "do not add the option (with the original banks name) to quickens security list. Then I view quickens security list, and it has added the banks names for each of the 5 options again to my security list, even though I checked do not add to the security list. I will have now 5 pairs of the options, and each pair as the same unique CUSIP, so I have to delete the duplicates. This will also happen each time I just click on the account, even if there are no transactions to download. 
    thank you! 

Resolved. wells fargo downloads a call option to quicken using this formula:
    stock symbol, year, day of month, month code letter, and strike price. example: 
    SYP1918B250. when quicken brings up the matching security list, if you rename the option, every time you open the account when there is a  new transaction, such as a dividend, it will create a duplicate for each of the options renamed. What works is don't give the option a new name, just use the symbol for the name and things work fine, no duplicates created. 
This discussion has been closed.