name on a check

i am a new user to quicken and just downloaded the new home & business version. Setting up my bank, when i downloaded the information from my checking account register it only shows check #'s and not the name of whom the check was made out to. How to you import the name on the check?

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ berk92 ,

It depends on your Bank. log into your Bank's Website and see how they record the check name.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Most banks do not read the payee names on checks. To avoid this issue, you can hand-enter the checks into your check register. Then when you download transactions, they will match what you've entered.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    thanks to both of you for pointing this out

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Most banks do not read the payee names on checks. To avoid this issue, you can hand-enter the checks into your check register. Then when you download transactions, they will match what you've entered.

"Most banks do not read the payee names on checks"

True.  And for those that do, they are very often incorrect.  Particularly with hand written checks.  You are better off doing as RJS says and hand entering the checks so that they match with the download.
This discussion has been closed.