is there a way to merge 2 mutual funds with the same symbol into one

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I have a mutual fund that displays twice (separately) in my investment transaxtions. The symbol is the same for each. Can they be combined or otherwise how do I resolve. Possible problem is a slight difference in the description of the fund relative to punctuation or spacing. very annoying  

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I believe the only way to truly and fully address the problem is to edit the transactions for one set such that the Security is the same for both.  It is really not as arduous as it might sound.  You can sort the transaction list by security so that all the transactions to be edited are grouped together.  You can also make use of the 'paste' option to paste in the correct (chosen) name for each transaction you are editing. 

Once your editing is complete, from the Security list, delete the no-longer-applicable security.    
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Depending upon which Q product your running, and whether that product supports this action .... how about a 1:1 Corporate Acquisition of one fund by the other?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Depending upon which Q product your running, and whether that product supports this action .... how about a 1:1 Corporate Acquisition of one fund by the other?

The Corporate Acquisition would work going forward, but the historical data would still be mixed.  CA would not allow deletion of the 'extra' security representation.  Those are why I chose not to suggest that path.
This discussion has been closed.