funds disappear in an investment account Using Quicken 2017 Deluxe

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Been tracking a mutual fund in Quicken since 1998.  As of Nov of 2017 this account is showing a zero balance.  There are no transactions that removed anything or any name changes to the account that would cause this.  There is only one fund in this account and usually only 2 to 3 transactions per year.  I have not updated this particular account in Quicken since the end of 2015 so there are no transactions even entered since then.  If I click the holdings tab change the date to Oct 31 2017 I see the funds on the list.  If I change the date to Nov 30 2017 it shows a zero balance.  

Any suggestions to fixing this would be much appreciated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Zero shares or zero dollars? If just zero dollars, maybe a share price of $0.00 got downloaded.

Go to the Security Details, click on Update, then edit price history and delete any zero entries.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If I change the date to Nov 30 2017 it shows a zero balance.
    Does it show the shares owned with $0 value, or no fund listing (no shares) at all?

It if shows the shares owned at $0 value, you have a price history issue.  Go to the security details, Update > Edit Price history, and examine the most recent values. 

If the share quantity is 0 or the fund is not listed as a holding, I would a) click the 'gear' icon on the holding view and have the preferences show closed lots.  I would also take a look at the Investment transactions report customized to that account.

Most likely, I would end up making a copy of the file and then validating that copy (File > File Operations)  Choose the rebuild investment lots, not the delete price history data. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Zero shared and Zero Dollars.  The fund is gone from the list under the holdings tab.  But only after a date of Nov 17 2017.

I tried updating security details no help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    If I click closed lots it shows up on the list with 0 shares owned.  

I will try validating the file.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    File validation did not work.  Any other ideas?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Perhaps there is a hidden Placeholder that sets the share balance to zero.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    That was it, Hidden transaction!  Thanks so much!!!!!!   This account used to be held at Wells Fargo and I think I moved it to Ed Jones about that time.  That probably had something to do with it.  Thanks again, you guys are awesome!
This discussion has been closed.