Q DL Mac 2019. Unwanted Cash item in Bond Account.

Mark439
Mark439 Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Mac)
Unwanted Cash item in Bond Account. Got rid of the decimal problem with help from Forum members . How can I get rid of a running Cash item in the Bond Register? It inflates the Market Value in the Bond Account and in the Investing total.    Actual market values are correct but not with the Cash item.    I know why this happened.    

Very early on, I used the correct investment action, Reinvest Dividend (RD) for some dividends.    For many others, I used Interest Income (II) .     Well, the II action created a Cash balance item, adding to the balance each time.   Now, I have no recollection why I did it this way.   It was years ago, and made no obvious problems in Mac 2007.

How, or, can I in someway get rid of this running Cash item in only the Bond Account??

Found that I can't edit them manually if I wanted to because the II action does not give the share count or the price/share.   If I subtract the cash balance from the inflated totals, the amounts are accurate.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Easiest way, just put in a Payment/Deposit transaction as a balance adjustment to zero out the running balance.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Mark439
    Mark439 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks, RickO.    I've got that idea, too.   Don't know how to proceed.   Every II action would have to be zeroed out, right?  

I need more elaboration/details as to how to do this in Q Mac DL 2019.    Please instruct.  Thanks,   Mark
  • RickO
    edited January 2019
    If you are looking at the bottom of the Portfolio view, you are seeing a line like this:

Now, switch over to the Transactions view. Look at the amount in the Balance column on the last date in the register. (If you don't see the Balance column, click menu View > Columns to make it show.) You should see the same amount in the Balance column.

Next, create a new transaction in the register that looks like this:

Note that the amount is the same as the cash balance but with the opposite sign. The new amount in the Balance column will be 0.00.

Now flip back to the Portfolio view and you will see that the Cash line is gone.

This is a one time adjustment. No need to go back and edit all the old transactions that contributed to the error.
  • Mark439
    Mark439 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Rick,  

Looking in disbelief at all correct numbers.    Could only enter the transaction in the Portfolio view.  Hope this does not make problems.    It seems it worked fine.   Also applied it to a -0.03 error in the Stock account;  cleared that as well.    Now all looks good.    It's been a battle.

Now a question to clear up:    How does the downloading of daily quotes work?   Think I need to set up something, or is it automatic?    

In Mac 2007, I am used to clicking on the quotes icon to do this.    Intimidated somewhat that I'll mess something up in this to me unfamiliar program.

Thanks much,  Mark
  • RickO
    edited January 2019
    First, after selecting an investment account in the sidebar, there are two buttons: Portfolio and Transactions as shown here:
    ]

You can never enter transactions in the Portfolio View, only in Transactions. So that must be what you did.

As for quote download, there's a preference setting (click menu Quicken > Preferences) that will cause quotes to be downloaded each time you open the file. See this:

If you prefer not to have them download automatically, or the file has been open a while and you want to open, then go to the Portfolio View of any investment account (or investment group) and click the circle/arrow icon near the right side:

They also update each time you do a Update All Online Accounts by choosing this from the Accounts menu or clicking the circle/arrow icon at the top of the sidebar.

To review: the circle/arrow button at the top of the left sidebar download all accounts plus quotes. The circle/arrow button at the right side of any Portfolio View only downloads quotes.

This discussion has been closed.