Partial rental payments

Options
For two years now I have been using Quicken Home, Business and Rental.   Upon entering a partial payment of rent, it does not then display a balance due for the rest of the rent due.  It is so frustrating.  I end up keeping tabs of the rent paid on index cards and enter them at the end of the month.   Can anyone tell me if there is another way?   If there is, I have yet to figure it out.   I find the Quicken Rental so frustrating and inept for property management.

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From C. D. Bales:

Assuming you're referring to the display at Rental Property > Rent Center:

"Upon entering a partial payment of rent, it does not then display a balance due for the rest of the rent due".

While true as far as it goes, I don't find that to be a complete description of the information available. 

I don't understand why you feel it necessary to " ... [keep] tabs of the rent paid on index cards and enter them at the end of the month".

The Rent Center may not compute the amount of rent left to be paid after a partial rent payment has been made; but the Rent Center does display the total amount of rent expected (the amount specified in the Tenant dialog), and the amount of rent paid for each month you elect to have displayed in the Rent Center. If the rent payment is overdue, Quicken places a "Rent Overdue" icon on the Property row in the Rent Center. 

To me it's pretty obvious what the expected rent is and how much of that expected rent has been paid; and whether any rent is "overdue". You may have to do a simple computation to get the exact amount of "unpaid rent" when a partial payment has been made; but it should not require any computation to determine when the "unpaid rent" is a non-zero amount (when the total rent paid is less than the total rent owed) ... meaning some rent is still owed.

Are you not seeing what I have described?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JFinn
    JFinn Member
    Options
    I am seeing that, I have used other programs through the years and this is by far the worst Rental software.   I just bought a new software program.  Hopefully, it will be better than Quicken and from what I see of their reviews, people have mentioned that it is.
This discussion has been closed.