Unable to change the ticker symbol of a bond

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: INVESTMENT TICKER SYMBOL CHANGE.

Comments

• TuckerMCP
    TuckerMCP Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm using Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property R19.36.  Something went wrong on download of bonds, matching them with a corporate security ticker symbol (same symbol attached to all), resulting in wildly inaccurate values in this account.  It won't let me change the ticker symbol for any of them, even after changing the type to bond, bond type to Muni bond, asset class to domestic bond and unchecking the boxes to "download asset class info" and "matched with online security".  There must be a way to fix this beyond manually re-entering historical info on all these bonds.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To change the ticker, the Security type must be something other than Bond.  You indicated you changed the type to Bond.  That will not work.  Once you have changed the type to something else (I suggest Stock, just for simplicity), you should be able to assign a ticker of your choosing. 

As you make the ticker change, you will likely be asked about copying over the prices from the old ticker to the new.  Likely you will not want to do that, since the price history information is likely messed up by multiple bonds sharing the same ticker.  You probably want to leave the old prices in place since they seem to reference to a valid corporate security.   

After assigning the ticker, you will be able to change the type back to Bond and set Bond Type and Asset Classes accordingly.

Once the data is properly set, you will likely need to fill in historical prices manually.  I suggest using a portfolio view to do that task, setting the As of date as needed and filling in the applicable prices for all bonds on that date.      

This discussion has been closed.