Archiving old 2004 Quicken data and starting anew

Options
I have been using an old 2004 Quicken program and entering all data manually (no online services). I'd like to archive this data for reference and then start fresh with a new 2019 Quicken deluxe program, but I'm concerned that when I download the new program, it will see my old Quicken data file and try to convert it, which will be unsuccessful. I've already tried to convert the 2004 data file using and intermediate 2010 program, but that was unsuccessful. Is there a way to make a new 2019 program "blind" to the old data file (without deleting it), and start my financial records anew? I plan to just manually enter starting balances from where they left off in the 2004 program.

Comments

• mduke1952
    mduke1952 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Should have said that I already tried converting 2004 data file using intermediate 2013 program (not 2010).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is very simple to prevent Quicken from attempting to convert an old data file set: simply do not attempt to open the old data file set with the newer Quicken.

To be able to reference the Quicken 2004 data file, I suggest you maintain the Quicken 2004 program on a separate machine.  
  • mduke1952
    mduke1952 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thx. I did retry converting the 2004 data file and was more successful this time.

I did download a 2013 Quicken program as an intermediary (as suggested by Quicken) but now on my desktop, I'm left with a 2013 Quicken Launcher. This may be a dumb question, but before I download a newer Quicken program, should the 2013 program be "launched" or will the new program locate the Q data file without activating the 2013 program? I'm planning on using Q 2017 Deluxe as the new program.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you install 2013 and convert your file to it?   You need to do that.  2013 is a very good stable version.  If you don't plan on downloading transactions or using any online services (since you haven't been) you might want to stay on 2013.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mduke1952 said:
    Thx. I did retry converting the 2004 data file and was more successful this time.

I did download a 2013 Quicken program as an intermediary (as suggested by Quicken) but now on my desktop, I'm left with a 2013 Quicken Launcher. This may be a dumb question, but before I download a newer Quicken program, should the 2013 program be "launched" or will the new program locate the Q data file without activating the 2013 program? I'm planning on using Q 2017 Deluxe as the new program.
    The 2013 Quicken Launcher is a shortcut to the Quicken 2013 program.  To convert the Quicken 2004 data file sets to the Quicken 2013 data file format, you need to open each or Quicken 2004 data file sets.  I encourage you to eliminate any data file passwords before you upgrade, perform validate and repair, and save backups of the data files. 

When you're ready upgrade from Quicken 2013 to Quicken 2017, exit Quicken 2013.   The Quicken 2017 installation will attempt to remove the Quicken 2013 program.  If installation is not successful or you have other installation issues, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken  After the upgrade, you may reset the data file passwords.
  • volvogirl
    Options
    One thing you said...you retried converting 2004?  To what?  

FYI- Also if nobody mentioned it....All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

• volvogirl
    Options
    Also I didn't see the conversion article posted here.  So if anyone reads this thread here is the Quicken help article on converting to a newer version
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

• mduke1952
    mduke1952 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I converted the 2004 data file to a 2013 .QDF file. The Quicken 2013 program downloaded to my desktop but the icon has a blue and yellow shield overlying it, and every time I double click the icon, the Quicken Launcher appears. After I enter my password, I get a message saying "Quicken does not support the option "Run as Administrator". I click OK and enter the program, but it's a nuisance to have to do this every time. I have right-clicked the desktop icon and selected properties, then unchecked "Run as Administrator" under shortcut advanced settings. No improvement. I've created a second user account for me, setting it up as a standard user (without admin privileges), but still can't open the program. That even required an additional step of entering my administrator password before I could launch the program and still got the "does not support Run as Administrator" message again. Interestingly, my wife's desktop has the 2013 Quicken icon without the blue/yellow shield, but she also encounters the Run as Administrator message after Quicken launches. I can also drag and drop her icon into the taskbar, whereas the icon on my desktop (with the shield) can't be moved to the taskbar. I'm still planning on transferring data to a 2017 Quicken program but won't have access to that for a few days. Not sure if these Administrator problems can be or need to be corrected before I try to convert to Q 2017.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @mduke1952

Thank you for taking the time to share your question and experience with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

The Administrator access error message should not affect the upgrade to Q2017 and if you haven't already, I would recommend upgrading and converting the file to Q'17.

If you have already upgraded, please let us know how it went and if the Administrator Access error persists with the upgraded version.

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.