Charles Schwab connecting issue (Download Error 403)

I was using Quicken for Mac 2017 and had problem connecting to Charles Schwab since May this year, and upgrade to Mac 2019 but still cannot access Schwab. All other banks or mutual funds are working fine. It always shows either Download Error (403), or Partial Download (403).
I'm sure my ID & password @ Schwab are correct because I can still access them online.

Best Answer

• Go_Blue
    Go_Blue Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you all for spending time helping me on this. Last night I first tried Quicken on-line chat support and after a few trial the lady concluded I need to talk to Schwab for this this issue. So I turn to Schwab and managed to talk to a service rep. over the phone. He also asked me to try a few things and concluded a further help from their tech team is required. This morning the issue is solved and I can access again. :)

Answers

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    In QWin there is an option to "reset" the online account settings with no impact to the account data. Not sure on QMac but see if it is in the account settings.

Alternatively deactivate the online setup, and then reactivate. You may have to delete duplicate transactions depending how far it goes back for a download. You may also have to match accounts again but that should not be an issue if you have the account numbers.

I would backup your data file before performing any activity. Maybe something is "stuck" and needs a refresh.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Go_Blue
    Go_Blue Member ✭✭
    Thanks for feedback. There's no "reset" in QMac version. And I tried to deactivate the online setup for all accounts (not just Charles Schwab, but also others) and then reactivate. All worked but Schwab.
    The error message is: Quicken cannot communicate with Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. Seem like it cannot establish a secure connection with Schwab. Does it happen to anyone?
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Random question, did you recently make any changes to the browser you use or settings in your current browser. I'm drawing from my QWin experience, it might not be the same for QMac but worth a shot.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several months ago there were many complaints re: Charles Schwab and their new "Third Party Access" requirements. Please verify the following:

Error OL 301 with Schwab accounts (or "General error 2000")?

Logon to your Internet account at Schwab's website and make sure that in your profile, Security Center, "Third Party Access" is set to "Allow".
    Wait several minutes before you try to download from Quicken again.

Quicken Mac users: Make sure that your account is connected to Schwab using "Direct Connect" protocol.

• Go_Blue
    Go_Blue Member ✭✭
    Yes, I checked the "third party access" option in my schwab profile and it's enabled. (I actually tried to disable and then enable the option to make sure it really worked) but still Quicken cannot communicate with Charles Schwab. Also tried both Quicken Connect & Direct Connect but neither worked.
  • Go_Blue
    Go_Blue Member ✭✭
    the error message after QMac tried to access Schwab. Seems like they don't talk to each other :<
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I once had an issue where a browser setting was causing issues with Schwab. I assume you can login to the Schwab site. Do you have any firewall software that might be blocking?

https://www.quicken.com/support/connectivity-troubleshooting
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Go_Blue
    Go_Blue Member ✭✭
    I don't have firewall installed or enabled. Also tried to connect to my phone for internet access instead but also cannot connect to Schwab.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Did you add any two-step verification with your Schwab account?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Go_Blue
    Go_Blue Member ✭✭
    no. I didn't know there's this option @ Schwab until I tried to debug this problem. It's not enabled. And I checked the "allow 3rd party SW access" option is enabled. ....
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I will check with some of the other SUs @smayer97 @RickO that are Mac users to see if they have an idea.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What is your default browser on the Mac?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Go_Blue
    Go_Blue Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I only have Safari and I can access Schwab from it.
  • Go_Blue
    Go_Blue Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you all for spending time helping me on this. Last night I first tried Quicken on-line chat support and after a few trial the lady concluded I need to talk to Schwab for this this issue. So I turn to Schwab and managed to talk to a service rep. over the phone. He also asked me to try a few things and concluded a further help from their tech team is required. This morning the issue is solved and I can access again. :)
This discussion has been closed.