Move QDF file off Microsoft Onedrive

I didn't realize that having my Quicken file on Onedrive could create problems and would like a suggestion as to how to move it. I have 2 computers that I share the file. I'm using Quicken Deluxe R20.15. If I move it off onedrive on one computer what happens to it on the other? Is there a way to retrieve it from the Quicken cloud? Once I successfully move it I assume that all that I need to do to access it would be to open it from its new location. Is that right? I thought that I could make a copy on one computer then do the same on the second then start using the new file one both computers the next time I open Quicken, but I don't feel comfortable with that either. Obviously I don't understand how Quicken handles its cloud services. Thanks for any insight.
Tagged:

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right in moving the Quicken data file off of Onedrive (or any cloud sync) as this leads to many issues as the data file has continual read/write operations that the sync process interferes with and can corrupt your data.
    The way to share files between computers using cloud sync is to place the backup file to the sync location instead of the data file. Then perform a restore to the secondary PC.
    No need for Quicken cloud.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only have 1 current file.  To use it on 2 computers you would need to backup on one and restore it to the other.  Only use 1 copy at a time.   Then if you make entries on the second computer you would have to restore it back to the first computer.

The cloud data is not your full data file.  You can not use it as a backup or to share.   It's only the mobile app to access some accounts from phones and tablets.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @babelles said:
    > I didn't realize that having my Quicken file on Onedrive could create problems and would like a suggestion as to how to move it. I have 2 computers that I share the file. I'm using Quicken Deluxe R20.15. If I move it off onedrive on one computer what happens to it on the other? Is there a way to retrieve it from the Quicken cloud? Once I successfully move it I assume that all that I need to do to access it would be to open it from its new location. Is that right? I thought that I could make a copy on one computer then do the same on the second then start using the new file one both computers the next time I open Quicken, but I don't feel comfortable with that either. Obviously I don't understand how Quicken handles its cloud services. Thanks for any insight.

I have had my Quicken file on DropBox for years with no issues (would be the same as OneDrive). All you need to do is pause the syncing of OneDrive (very easy to do), open Quicken (on any computer) do what you need to do and close Quicken. Then restart syncing.

I have no issues by using Quicken on separate computers by using this process. Hope that helps.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jfclague said:
    > @babelles said:

I have had my Quicken file on DropBox for years with no issues (would be the same as OneDrive). All you need to do is pause the syncing of OneDrive (very easy to do), open Quicken (on any computer) do what you need to do and close Quicken. Then restart syncing.
    It's your data and you are free to risk it however you see fit, but this practice is not supported by Quicken and a corrupted data file that may go back months makes any hope of restoring from a backup pretty much useless.

• babelles
    babelles Member
    I assumed too much by thinking that Quicken on the Web gave me transparent access and updating, including adding transactions. I appreciate your answers and will take my chances. I will pause OneDrive before running Quicken and restart OneDrive after work on quicken is complete. I don't expect any problems so long as I make sure that syncing is caught up before turning off one computer and going to work on the other.
This discussion has been closed.