Problem with Portfolio Value Report

I ran a Portfolio Value Report for a single account and the numbers don't seem to make sense.

The report shows a total account balance of $267,366. However, if you add up the value of each security in the account the total comes to $294,342. (This amount matches to total from my brokerage statement.) The Portfolio Value report also shows a total loss for the account of -$18,527. Again, if you add up the total for the individual gains and losses the total shows a gain of $5,749.

The total for all investments at the bottom of the report shows a Total for all investments of $294,366 and a total gains of $5,749. Since the report is for a single investment account I would think that the two total lines would be the same.

The Account List window on the left side of the Quicken window shows the $267,366 total for the account balance.

Other Portfolio Value reports for other account seem OK.

Any suggestions as to where to look to identify the problem with this one version of the report?

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked for Placeholder transactions in that account? That's the usual first step when investment accounts go haywire.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rmk28027
    rmk28027 Member ✭✭
    I ended up running multiple reports for various dates until I discovered the date where the "error" first occurred. I then went to that date and found the cause of the problem, a misplaced decimal.

I guess I still have a question about why the two totals on the report are different. Especially since the report was only for a single account.
This discussion has been closed.