Effect of "From" and "To" dates on Net Worth report

I have a question regarding the impact of changing "From" dates has on the Net Worth report.

If I input a "From" date of 9/11/14 or earlier when running a Net Worth report I get one total for one of the account's, the total is correct. If I input a "From" date of 9/12/14 or sooner the total for the account is different and is incorrect.

There was a transaction or 9/11/14 but it looks correct. I have not found any hidden or placeholder transactions.

My question is why does the change in dates change to results of the report?

It would seem to me that the current balance, according to the Account Overview screen is what it is regardless of the starting date.

Any thoughts?

Rick

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please give us some more details.
    The account in question, is that a banking account or an investment account?
    Is it possible that, for investment accounts, you have incorrect price quote history records?
  • rmk28027
    rmk28027 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Please give us some more details.
    > The account in question, is that a banking account or an investment account?
    > Is it possible that, for investment accounts, you have incorrect price quote history records?

The account is a brokerage account that has been open since 2/25/1993.

The reports have been correct up until the one run as of 8/31/2019.

The only change to the account is updating prices and dividends as of 8/31. However, i did also run file validate on 8/30/2019 due to problems I was having with another account. The problem with that account was an incorrect price.

I have checked the historical prices for the new problematic account and they seem fine.

Another strange thing I noticed today is that if a run the Net Worth report for the single account with a "from" date prior to 9/11/2014 and set "Interval" for any period other than "none" the totals on the report are correct. However, if I set the "Interval" to none the value reverts to an incorrect amount.

Again, I don't understand why, if I keep the same "To" date, changing the report parameters changes the report totals

Very confusing.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    a)  What Quicken?  Reference to Help / About Quicken for the release and Build number.

b)  I have often also wondered about the "From date".  I agree it should have no effect on the subsequent values.  I only see it affecting the presentation if user is asking for interval information between two dates.  For an interval of "None", the from date should have no effect.  (I have never seen it have an effect, but I commonly use either "From Earliest Date" or "All Dates".)   

c)  If you have tracked it down to one transaction on one date, I would be inclined to 
    -- backup my data file, and
    -- delete and re-enter the transaction on that date, even though it looks correct. 

I would be most suspicious of that transaction if it was a Sell or similar, but I suppose any transaction might cause a "glitch" like you are talking about.
  • rmk28027
    rmk28027 Member ✭✭
    I am using Version: R19.7; Build 26.1.19.7

I have deleted the and reentered the transaction, with no effect. The amount of the error is approx. $250,000 the value of the transaction is less than $3,000.

The transaction in question is a bond sale and I am just wondering if the report doesn't like the way the transaction is classified.

My basic question is if the Account Overview shows one amount, which balances to my brokerage account, why does a report that show a different amount.
This discussion has been closed.