Home Quicken for Mac Budgeting and Planning Tools (Mac)

Budget totals are not being correctly calculated... (Q Mac)

I've seen this issue reported elsewhere in the community but I haven't seen anyone provide a satisfactory response or explanation for what causes the issue.

I have a top-level expense category called DISCRETIONARY and beneath that, I have a sub-category called CHILDREN. Beneath CHILDREN I have subcategories for each of my four children and two subcategories each below each of the children's names. The problem is this...

.../CHILDREN – The subtotal for the CHILDREN category DOES NOT ADD UP up to the subtotals for Child #1-4.
.../CHILDREN/Child #1 – The subtotal for this child CORRECTLY adds up to the two categories below.
.../CHILDREN/Child #2 – The subtotal for this child CORRECTLY adds up to the two categories below.
.../CHILDREN/Child #3 – The subtotal for this child CORRECTLY adds up to the two categories below.
.../CHILDREN/Child #4 – The subtotal for this child CORRECTLY adds up to the two categories below.

I have confirmed that there are no budget categories not selected. I have replaced the values of the sub-categories (bottom level categories) multiple times. I have tried feeding zeros throughout the parent categories multiple times to ensure there aren't any values within that are messing up the totals. I have saved, closed, and reopened the budget multiple times. I've even tried closing and reopening Quicken. I've tried duplicating the budget. Nothing works. I'm using Quicken Version 5.12.5 (Build 512.29294.100). I'm using Mac OS 10.14.6.

If anyone has any ideas or explanation for why this is happening, I'd be grateful for your insights. Thank you!
Tagged:

Comments

  • FOLLOW-UP COMMENT
    The one thing I hadn't tried was manually entering the correct value into the subtotal field. When I first did that, I noticed that the yearly total DID NOT change, despite my adding a new positive value in the subtotal. BUT, interestingly enough, when I went back to the budgets that I had manually entered the totals into and entered a zero into that field, the monthly subtotal correctly appeared AND the yearly total updated. So, while my immediate issue is fixed, I would still love to understand why this worked the way it did and how to avoid things not adding up correctly. Thanks!
Sign In or Register to comment.