The cash balances in my Merrill Lynch Accounts always state "Not Provided"

Options
2»

Answers

• Dennis Freeman
    Options
    It seems like I have to reinstall the 23.21 MP on a daily basis to get my cash balances to download from Merrill Lynch. Hopefully, Quicken is aware of this and is looking into the fix for this perplexing issue.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Definitely still looking into it:

I am suspecting a file that gets updated is a problem like the  fidir.txt

• Dennis Freeman
    Options
    i had to reinstall the 23.21 patch again this morning to get the final tallies for the week. I did a validation to see if there were any errors, and Quicken vaporized to the desktop. I sent the error log to them. This issue really needs some serious attention to get it right. I, and many other users, rely on this program to give us accurate information about our finances, and I really feel let down.
    This was not the case when the new ownership took over, but I'm feeling like they have dropped the ball.
  • Dave Haught
    Dave Haught Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am using 23.21 and as of this morning, 1/14/2020, the problem persists.
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    I installed the 24.11 update this morning. I am now getting the Not Provided from Merrill Lynch accounts. If I periodically reinstalled the 23.21 Mondo Patch I would get the proper cash balances from ML. I was hoping that this update would have cured this issue.
  • miklk
    Options
    Just so you know, I have tracked down the file that gets changed incorrectly causing this. It has been escalated in is being looked at by programmers to identify the cause for an eventual fix. 
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. I have found this to be very frustrating. Especially when a supposed fix breaks something that was working (for me at least).
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2020
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind when patches are distributed; they sometimes contain older versions of fidir.txt and fiblueprint.xml.  If you have already performed an OSU that day, these files will not get updated until OSU is performed on a subsequent day.  I reported this weeks ago.

The file fidir.ini stores the date of your last OSU; in my case 1/15/2020 because I ran OSU earlier this morning before updating.  After updating to R24.11 both fidir and fiblueprint were dated 1/1/2020.  In R24.11, my Discover Card direct connect OSU reported an error because the fiblueprint file from 1/1/2020 has an error in it.  It ran successfully this morning under a beta version.

So I reset the date in fidir.ini to 12/31/2019 and ran OSU again.  Discover Card completed successfully because fidir.txt and fiblueprint.xml both were updated with dates of 1/15/2020.  fidir is updated almost daily but fiblueprint sometimes goes several days.  I say that so you don't expect that both files are updated daily.

In any case you might try re-setting the fidir.ini date to 12/31/2019 and trying OSU again.  If the current fiblueprint.xml file contains the ML fix, your cash balance might be right again.
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    Tried the reset, and even restored the file from a 12/31/19 backup, and I am still getting the Not Provided message in the cash balance
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    I took it a step and restored the older fidir.ini, and the fiblueprint file and the cash balances appeared as they should. Whether or not it will continue to work properly from this point forward is another question.
  • miklk
    Options
    Unfortunately, it will NOT continue fixed.
    It is the fiblueprint  file that will be updated starting AFTER the next day when you go online. That is the file that causes the problem as of now.
    Like I said, they know about it and are looking into the cause first and then solution so may take a while depending on what the problem is.
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    I suppose I could always restore the old file each day until Quicken comes up with a solution.
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    Is there any news on this issue?
  • miklk
    Options
    I know they know about it and the cause but I have not heard anything about a fix for it yet. 
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    There was a new version, 24.14 that I downloaded this morning. It did NOT resolve the Cash Balance "Not Provided" issue.
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    This makes no sense to me. I downloaded the 24.14 update from within the quicken program, and after a download of assets, I still got the same Not Provided error. I then downloaded and installed the Mondo Patch, (also the 24.14 update) and now I am seeing the cash balances after the update. Whether or not it will stay fixed, I have no idea!
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    I have rebooted 3 times, downloaded my assets from ML, and it still seems to be fixed. No More "Not Provided" errors. I am hoping for the best and it will stay fixed.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    I hope so too but if it comes back tomorrow, this is why.  There is a file, FIBlueprint.xml among others that get updated periodically. Look at the date of the file.  If dated today there is a pretty good chance it is fixed.  If it is several days old, then it will likely break tomorrow when you do an OSU and the file updates to a version that doesn't work for ML.
  • miklk
    Options
    I believe you will find after next day it is still Not fixed (unless they push a new file). I keep bugging them but they go by their priorities. 
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    You are correct. It worked for one day (yesterday) Today the Not Provided is back.
  • Dennis Freeman
    Options
    Well, revision 25.10 came out today. I installed it, rebooted my computer, and got the Not Provided message in the cash area. I went one step further and downloaded the 25.10 Mondo patch and installed that, and at least for today, I am getting the Merrill Lynch cash balances reported and updated in the cash area. Whether or not it will continue tomorrow I have no idea, but for today it worked.
  • miklk
    Options
    It is not fixed. It is however in their "being worked on" list with no estimate.

PS: This file comes in online so does NOT require an update; It just needs them to update what they are sending on their end.
  • Dave Haught
    Dave Haught Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Something changed with the latest update (R25.10); now I am getting a dialogue box asking me to verify cash balance. If you accept the figure that's populated in the box, it creates a transaction adjusting your balance.
  • miklk
    Options
    It appears it MAY have been fixed today? I need further testing to verify for a few days BUT today, I did get the cash balance downloaded in 2 data files and I played with update file settings and a 2nd update held the cash balance.

If the cash balance is shown and you are getting a mismatch now, I suspect that you may have accepted a balance adjustment to the Money Market Sweep which is usually treated as cash and should try deleting that prior adjustment as it was wrong because of the bug.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think ML changed the way it reports the sweep around the time this problem first started. It used to give a total of cash and money account, but now it looks like its displaying the money account only without the cash balance. For example, if you have $1000.25 total with $1000.00 in the money account and $0.25 in cash, its showing  $1000.00. I'm seeing that in every account where there's a cash balance.
  • miklk
    Options
    I haven't had enough transaction or time to see if fixed completely but I did not get a red flag with the balances off like in the past. 
    I doubt ML changed anything. If it appears different, it may be that the fix Quicken did may not be complete...? 
  • Dave Haught
    Dave Haught Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems to be working now. I haven't had any issues for about 10 days.
  • Dennis Freeman
    Dennis Freeman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same here.
This discussion has been closed.