Is it still possible to import from Quicken into Turbotax?

It appears I can no longer import from Quicken Premier into Turbotax. Is this true? Is there a workaround? If not, why would I continue to use Quicken?

Best Answer

• Jim Barclay
    Jim Barclay Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, that's what I get for following the destructions! I shut Quicken down. Tried the import again. Turbotax opened Quicken, apparently in a mode it wanted, and imported just fine. Sorry to have bothered everyone.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can import from Quicken 2020 to TurboTax 2019. You must have QW2018 or newer.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim Barclay
    Jim Barclay Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the immediate reply. I'm not sure about my Version since it doesn't match the QW2018 format. My Quicken info says the year is 2020 and the Version is R24.11. Does any of this "compute"?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What year of TTAX are you talking about?  Because I imported from QWin Subscription into TTAX 2019 without difficulty.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can import from Quicken (the newest 3 versions)  directly into TurboTax Desktop (CD or Download) software for Windows. How to import Quicken to Turbo Tax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-from-quicken-into-turbotax-cd-download-basic-deluxe-premier-or-home-business-for/00/26389

To import from earlier Quicken versions, or to import into TurboTax CD/Download for Mac, you must first convert the data to a tax exchange .txf file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-from-the-txf-file/00/25642

How to tansfer Quicken to Turbo Tax using a TXF file  

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-transfer-tax-information-quicken-turbotax

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jim Barclay
    Jim Barclay Member ✭✭
    Interesting! My Turbotax is 2019 but the version is hard to say. I suppose the WinPerTaxSupport version might suffice. It is 019.000.0115. When I try to import I get, Please be sure that Quicken is running and a valid Quicken data file has been selected. It is running and Quicken is happy with the file so I'm not sure what to try next. It is interesting you can complete this. I'll have to keep digging.
  • Jim Barclay
    Jim Barclay Member ✭✭
    And, I went right past volvogirl's reply. I've tried all of this but probably don't know what I'm doing. The first major hurdle is I don't know how to get a .txf file. That isn't a known export format for Quicken.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a current Quicken version you should be able to directly import Quicken without using the .txf file.  Read the links again.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jim Barclay
    Jim Barclay Member ✭✭
    I did. When I try to import from Quicken Turbotax says to be sure I have Quicken running. It is running. Please be sure that Quickin is running and a valid Quicken data file has been selected before trying to use Quicken import, is the only message I get. I have only one .qdf file and it is selected.
  • Jim Barclay
    Jim Barclay Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, that's what I get for following the destructions! I shut Quicken down. Tried the import again. Turbotax opened Quicken, apparently in a mode it wanted, and imported just fine. Sorry to have bothered everyone.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's funny. When I tried that, TT opened Q and then I got that same error message you got. When I had Q already open prior to import, it worked. Just goes to show you have to try everything.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.