Starting Quicken

I am running Quicken 2020 Build 27.1.24.11. I am unable to start Quicken by clicking on the desktop icon. It attempts to load the data file, then hangs and I am forced to shut down the process. I am however able to start Quicken and load the data file by holding down Ctrl+Shift and launching Quicken. This allows me to load the data file and work normally. Any idea why this would be?

Best Answer

• jtmiers
    jtmiers Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The fix appears to be to check "Run as Administrator" on the Quicken shortcut. It must have to do with they way my laptop is setup with file permissions.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you find the data file in Windows Explorer and double-click on it there?
    Also, where is the data file located and what is its name?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jtmiers
    jtmiers Member ✭✭
    Double clicking the file in Windows Explorer results in the same behavior where it hangs up and doesn't load. I store the file in a personal folder. It's named Miers10.qdf.

I use OneDrive and DropBox, but not for Quicken. Can't tell on Controlled Folder Access - it's a policy that's locked my the administrator for my company.

Ctrl-Shift appears to be the only way to open the file. What does Ctrl+Shift do that the other methods don't?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Actually, it's just the Ctrl key. Pressing the Ctrl key while starting Quicken tells Quicken not to open a data file. What is the full path to your data file?
  • jtmiers
    jtmiers Member ✭✭
    Interestingly, it only works with Ctrl-Shift and not just Ctrl. File path is - C:\Users\jeffrey.t.miers\Documents\Data\Personal\quicken data\current.

When I use Ctrl+Shift it appears to run as Administrator, which may have something to do with it.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you checked the owner/permissions on your Quicken folder and data file? Have you tried moving your data file to C:\Users\jeffrey.t.miers\Documents\Quicken?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Could there possibly be a space in the file's name immediately before the "."?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • jtmiers
    jtmiers Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The fix appears to be to check "Run as Administrator" on the Quicken shortcut. It must have to do with they way my laptop is setup with file permissions.