Budget Report Doesn't Add Up Correctly When Unrealized Gains Are Selected, Why?

This is a bug that has existed for a number of years. I've made a new year's resolution to influence quicken to fix it. Attached is proof that the budget report when unrealized gains are selected under the advanced tab, doesn't total correctly. Look at the total of the budget report I've attached. The total Income shows $9,414 but the amounts listed under Income only sum up to $5,799. What is missing is the unrealized gain amount, even though I have a budget for the category.

To further demonstrate this bug, I've attached an Income/Expense Category report for the same period. Here you can see the totals match the totals on the budget report but also show the amount of unrealized gains.

Conclusion is that the budget report has a bug that results in it not summing up all amounts correctly.

I've reported this issue to Quicken. They have logged it under ticket number 7333586. Unfortunately, they will not give me a timeline when this will be corrected. Additionally, I was told I needed the Quicken Community to support having this bug fixed. I do find this a little weird given their software isn't working correctly. I think we would all expect a report to add up correctly, would we not?

Comments

• ckalinich
    ckalinich Member ✭✭
    Also note that this bug was reported previously under this comment as well: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20058861#Comment_20058861
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ckalinich

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I took the liberty of reviewing the call and case details from your recent contact with Support and would like to apologize for the misinformation provided.

I did some digging on this issue and was able to confirm with our Product Teams that the budget report is working as designed and is not intended to include the unrealized gains, even though the option to include them is available under the Advanced section of the report customization options.

We have an open request with the Product Team asking they build a feature into the budgets to include the unrealized gains, however I do not have an ETA on when this feature might be available, I apologize.

In the meantime, we recommend running a different report, such as the Income/Expense Category report to view the unrealized gains data, or exporting the data to excel and manually adding the data.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns the Community may assist with.

Thank you again,

Sarah

(QWIN-3064)

• ckalinich
    ckalinich Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sarah for your reply. I'm troubled that Quicken would intend for a report to have incorrect totals. Your statement that "the budget report is working as designed..." is troubling. Why would Quicken design a report to show incorrect totals? If the report was designed not to include unrealized gain why not just exclude them from the totals. Since they are included in the totals it is obvious that the calculations are being made, just not displayed in the report.

As stated earlier, I'm working hard to help you make a better product. Having a report with such a glaring error in it throws doubt on other Quicken reports. For example, how does a user know if the investment performance report is accurate. These are reports that have to perform complex calculation and can't easily be verified. Are they accurate?

It is promising that the Product Team is digging into this issue and I plan to continue and follow the progress of this bug to its full resolution.

Thank You
  • ckalinich
    ckalinich Member ✭✭
    This is a bug that has existed for a number of years. I've made a new year's resolution to influence quicken to fix it. Attached is proof that the budget report when unrealized gains are selected under the advanced tab, doesn't total correctly. Look at the total of the budget report I've attached. The total Income shows $9,414 but the amounts listed under Income only sum up to $5,799. What is missing is the unrealized gain amount, even though I have a budget for the category.

To further demonstrate this bug, I've attached an Income/Expense Category report for the same period. Here you can see the totals match the totals on the budget report but also show the amount of unrealized gains.

Conclusion is that the budget report has a bug that results in it not summing up all amounts correctly.

I've reported this issue to Quicken. They have logged it under ticket number 7333586. Unfortunately, they will not give me a timeline when this will be corrected. Additionally, I was told I needed the Quicken Community to support having this bug fixed. I do find this a little weird given their software isn't working correctly. I think we would all expect a report to add up correctly, would we not?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This appears to be the third time you have brought this up.  I would much prefer you add on to prior discussions if at all possible.  Creating new discussions simply adds clutter and loses any thoughts or progress that might have previously developed.  

I agree that neither the budget report nor the budget screens properly present unrealized gains.  What is represented as realized gains is also inaccurately presented in both presentations.

Recognizing that this site is primarily a user-based site, there is nothing the user community can do to get you around this issue.  I've tried to gather the attention of a moderator to get you a better answer, but there is no promise of that forthcoming. 
  • ckalinich
    ckalinich Member ✭✭
    I've had to create a new discussion for this issue as my prior discussions continue to be closed and do not allow any form of update.

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ckalinich

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to provide this feedback and include screenshots and more information on the issue.

I was able to locate your previous discussion and have merged your new topic into the previous topic.

There is still an open request with the Product Team asking they build a feature into the budgets to include the unrealized gains, however, there is no ETA on when this feature might be available, I apologize.

I would also ask that you navigate to Help > Report a Problem and send a report with the subject as "QWIN-3064."

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • kla4503
    kla4503 Member ✭✭
    Hello @ckalinich,
    Have you tried, in the Current Budget report -> Settings | Display tab: @ bottom, setting "Organization:" to "Category Group" instead of "Income & Expense"?
    This worked for me, but, it may change the report to something you may not care for. I use slightly different category groupings and this is how to get them to show up.
This discussion has been closed.