"Update Selected Online Account"

Options
I'm running Quicken 2020 Version 5.14.3 for a Mac. Whenever I attempt to "Update Selected Online Account" (ie, the account I first select in the Accounts window), the application updates ALL of my online accounts. Any idea why this is happening? Is this a bug or is there something I can do to fix it?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's not a bug, but it is a misnomer in the name of the command. It depends on the connection type, and here's how it works for each:

Quicken Connect: When you update any Quicken Connect account, this causes every account using that method to be updated. This is because of the nature of how QC works -- it is a batch process that pulls everything it has down from the server.

Direct Connect: When you update a DC account, all accounts at the same financial institution  are updated. This is because DC connects to your bank and the bank sends all the info it has for your login.

Unfortunately, there's no way around this, other than to change from QC to DC where possible.

Here's a more detailed summary of the connection types:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's not a bug, but it is a misnomer in the name of the command. It depends on the connection type, and here's how it works for each:

Quicken Connect: When you update any Quicken Connect account, this causes every account using that method to be updated. This is because of the nature of how QC works -- it is a batch process that pulls everything it has down from the server.

Direct Connect: When you update a DC account, all accounts at the same financial institution  are updated. This is because DC connects to your bank and the bank sends all the info it has for your login.

Unfortunately, there's no way around this, other than to change from QC to DC where possible.

Here's a more detailed summary of the connection types:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks VERY much! This isn't the first time I've found that Quicken doesn't work the way I assumed. No problem though now that I know what to expect.
This discussion has been closed.