How do I change the matched pair of transfer transactions?

When accepting downloaded transactions into my register I confirmed match to the wrong transfer transaction in another register; wrong date. How do I correct this so I have the correct dates matched?

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @srmason58,

You should open the register that has the "incorrect match" transaction and you'll see a "c" in the "Clr" column for that transaction.  You should click on the "c" and in the pop-up menu select "uncleared",  Then go to the correct match transaction, and click in the "Clr" column for that transaction.  Then in the pop-up menu select "cleared".

That should do it.  Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like the problem is more than just "confirming" it is fixing transactions the got linked to the wrong transactions.

As in say you have two deposits for $100 into one account on slightly different days, and in two other accounts you have the corresponding withdraws.

When downloading these transactions Quicken makes a guess based on the amount that a deposit in one account is the same as the withdraw in another account, and will want change this into one transfer transaction between the two accounts.  And if you have the confirmation on (and certainly should) it will ask if that is correct.

It sounds like  @srmason58 confirmed the wrong one and now the two transactions are linked to the wrong second account (as a transfer).

The way to fix this is just go the two transactions and change what account the transfer is to.  As in say you are in "Account A" and the transaction has the "category" as [Account B], but it should be "Account C", just change [Account B] to [Account C].  Do this for the two transactions that are wrong (the other side in the other account will be fixed automatically).
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi @JustMeHere

Just so you know, the "c" stands for "cleared" not confirm, confirming, or confirmed; you "clear checks" that have "cleared the bank" in accounting parlance. 

Not sure there are 2 accounts involved, but maybe if he has 2 checking accounts at the same bank... still not as likely.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:
    Hi @JustMeHere

Just so you know, the "c" stands for "cleared" not confirm, confirming, or confirmed; you "clear checks" that have "cleared the bank" in accounting parlance. 

Not sure there are 2 accounts involved, but maybe if he has 2 checking accounts at the same bank... still not as likely.

Frankx 

Yes I know that the c is for cleared.  I only stated that because @srmason58 used the term "confirmed" and you responded with an answer that talks about the cleared status.

And two accounts were mentioned "I confirmed match to the wrong transfer transaction in another register; wrong date."

You probably have never encountered this because your "workflow", but see this option below:

This is Quicken "guessing" at what might be a transfer.  And when it makes that guess with the "Confirm ..." option selected above it will put up a dialog that ask the user to confirm that the two transaction are in fact one transfer from one account to the other.  Needless to say if the guess is wrong, and you still confirm it, you are going to have to fix the problem.

The reason you probably have never seen this is because this happens at the very end of downloading, and if you have "resolved" all the transfers before that there will be nothing for Quicken to guess at.

You can "resolve" transfers in two ways.  One is to pre-enter them into the register and then they are matched.  The other is if you are using the Downloaded Transactions tab you can see a transaction that you know is a transfer, click on it, it goes into the register and then you put in [Other Account].  And then when you get to the second account's ("Other Accounts") downloading it will match that side of the transfer.

The only time Quicken has to guess is if you use Accept all (not fixing the transfer before Quicken sees the opposite transaction in another register) or if you are using automatic transaction entry mode.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
This discussion has been closed.