Anyone else having this problem where Quicken replaces all the lots with a Placeholder?

Options
I have accounts with Lincoln Financial and download the Quicken OFX v200.

The process has been working for years.

About 4 weeks ago the download still works but Quicken will import the file then erase all prior investment lots and replace with a Placeholder transaction.

Anyone else having this problem where Quicken replaces all the lots with a Placeholder?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

About Placeholders (Quicken Windows)

"N/A" in certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be deleted and replaced with the correct Buy / Sell / etc. transaction that should have been recorded here.
    For more about Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken) and perform a Contents search for "placeholder".
    Alternatively or in addition to the above, read the first few articles found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/search/placeholder

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What "securities" are being downloaded?  Are these tradeable securities, annuities, mutual funds?

In principle, the first time a 'new' security is presented to Quicken by the financial institution (FI), Quicken matches the FI version of the security to the Quicken version using an identifier (usually a CUSIP # but that identifier is at the discretion of the FI).  All subsequent downloads from the FI that use that same identifier match to the same Quicken security.

If somehow something changed with that identifier, that might somehow create the circumstances you cite.
    Quicken will import the file then erase all prior investment lots and replace with a Placeholder transaction.
    How is this taking place in Quicken?  Are you being prompted for a security mismatch where Quicken is pointing out that the brokerage shows different holdings that Quicken is showing?  Are the "erasures" coming from a Remove Shares transactions or a placeholder (Adjust Share Balance) transaction?

• uwf24666
    uwf24666 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.

No I am not being presented with a security mismatch. The account has been in use and working fine since 2015 with each purchase lot showing up and downloading and matching with no issues this whole time. The break seems to have happened between 02/01 and 02/14.

I've been backing up and then downloading the OFX file to see if it has anything to do with the recent quicken updates and fixes.

I guess best case is their is a problem with the Quicken version or worse case I manually update all the lots.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Something must have happened to your original lots, and there must be one or more transactions that "erased" them in Quicken.

First, if you have not already, make sure Placeholders are visible. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure "Show hidden transactions" is ticked.

Then in your investing account click on Holdings, click on the plus sign next to each affected security then set the As of date to go back in time and see when the original lots changed. Look in your transaction list (register) to see what transaction(s) caused the change. 

If you are still confused post back with details of the transactions.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.