Printing reports results in a 25% page print

When I try to print a Quicken report, the report is compressed to about the upper left 25% of the page in super small print. I can print just fine from other Windows programs so its not a printer setting or else everything I print from other programs would be compressed. Any solutions?
Tagged:

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be crystal clear, are you talking about the actual printing on paper, or the print preview? 

If the actual printing is small, does the print preview look OK?

If the print preview is small, is the actual printing OK/
    QWin Premier subscription
  • GlennQuser
    GlennQuser Member ✭✭
    I have this same problem. When I view the report on the screen, it looks fine. When I try to print it (either to a printer or a pdf), it shrinks to a very small area. I checked everything, and I don't see any setting affecting this. The margins are set to .5" on all sides.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, let's check a couple of things:

-- First, what version of Quicken are you running? Go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what it says there.

-- Right-click on the Windows Desktop and pick Display settings. What does it say for the Size of text?

-- When you click on the printer icon in the report and the Print window is displayed, is the Page Scaling section grayed outwith Adjust to selected? What percentage does it say next to Adjust to?
  • joehartley
    joehartley Member ✭✭
    I ended up chatting with Quicken Support. After making sure I had a current backup, I clicked on File -> File Operations -> Validate & Repair. When the dialog box opened, I checked the reset all Quicken printer settings. It appeared to make no change i.e. when I tried to print a report it still appeared in the printer dialog box that it was printing in compressed print. However, I accidentally hit the print button and when the paper was printed it was normal even though it appeared compressed. There must be some bug where what is displayed in the dialog box is not what is printed on paper.
  • Jim_Harman
    I  accidentally hit the print button and when the paper was printed it was normal even though it appeared compressed. There must be some bug where what is displayed in the dialog box is not what is printed on paper.

That is why I was asking about the print preview.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Member ✭✭
    I had same problem. I followed the resolution used by joehartley as recommended by Quicken. Same result, only 25% shows in the preview window, but, full page when printed. Definitely a problem with the preview window as it shows compressed. Thank Joe!
  • Carl Spaulding
    Carl Spaulding Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem with Quicken 2020, Version R25.18, Build 27.1.25.18. I didn't go through the Validate & Repair process. I can print full pages even though my print preview shows everything at 25% of normal. Also, this has been the case for me for a couple of years of new Quicken software -- it is not a new bug.
  • when i try to print a catagory report, it is in tiny type in the top 1/8th of the page.
    No option to "Fit to page".
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, but you can try File, File operations, Validate & repair, reset printer settings.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Jim_Harman
    @""Douglas Mason 123"

Is this physical printing, print preview, or both? If you have not already, please try physical printing and see if it prints full size. 
  • wow, thanks, lots of info. I exported as an excel file and printed, needed to get it to my accountant. to Jim, i only saw that it was small in the preview, i did not try to print. i'll do so and report back tomorrow, thanks. to Bob, I'll try that too.
    Have a great night and i hope you're all healthy and happy.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2020
    The small print preview occurs when you have a high-res monitor and the Windows text size setting is > 100% so that the print is readable on your screen.

Quicken has acknowledged this problem, no ETA for a fix.
  • barbaranims
    barbaranims Member
    this is not a new problem, according to the internet and community that i can see. the report prints only in the top left corner of the page, without regard to orientation (portrait/landscape) or selected printer (my normal one or quickenpdf). my printer (samsung c410) normally permits page scaling, and i have successfully printed reports from older (not online) versions of quicken. i have been through every printer and quicken menu i can find.
  • barbaranims
    barbaranims Member
    i did the file operations validation and reset. it is definitely printing larger than the preview. now my problem is apparently when i was trying to fix this before, i increased some font size or display size and i am getting huge letters. i can't seem to reverse it.
  • I am printing with HP 3630; there are no print settings that allow me to print more than a small portion of the page. Even utilizing the quicken PDF.. only prints about 25% of the page. how can size to print on one page / fit to a full page?
  • Jim_Harman
    Does the actual print on paper come out the wrong size, or is it just the print preview?

If just the print preview, please see this discussion:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20075335
  • I've tried changing the percentages and the Fit-to full page settings in page scaling but it all seems to lock the page to just the top left quarter and then roll additional content onto other pages. I'm tried to change margins as well but they are set to lowest level. I've also tried different printers including Quicken for pdf just in case. Nothing changes
  • I should add this only started after upgrading to 2019 version of Quicken Home & Business from 2017 where I didn't have this problem.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2020
    Is this printing on paper or the print preview? 

If print preview, then due to a bug in Quicken you must go to the Windows display settings and set the text size to 100%. (Removed-Self-Referencing) 
  • kornylak
    kornylak Member ✭✭
    Same problem - the print preview shows the printing jammed into the upper left corner. I removed quicken from my computer, including the data file, reinstalled quicken and restored the backup, still did the same compressed preview. I spent two hours with technical support, they were not aware of this being an unsolvable problem, tried unsuccessfully all sorts of fixes, and promised to get back to me the next day with a solution. I never heard back. BUT it actually prints ok even with the compressed preview!! I had not even thought of trying that till I saw this thread. I did install quicken on another computer, and restored my data file there, it did NOT have this problem!
  • kornylak
    kornylak Member ✭✭
    Jim Harman - THANKS! You solved the problem! I went to settings, display, put it back to 100% and the print preview is fixed. after MANY days of struggling with it, especially frustrating during tax time!!
This discussion has been closed.