False Reporting of Uncategorized Transactions

Options
When I do a register report to list not categorized transactions, I get many transactions listed as not categorized that do have transactions in the register. How do I correct this problem?

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would suggest starting with a file validation. File>File Operations>Validate. If that does not correct the issue, provide a screenshot of the report.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know what report you are using, but, IMHO, the best way to locate uncategorized transactions is this:
    Create a Itemized Categories Report (from the Reports Menu, Spending, Itemized Categories or from the Reports & Graphs Center)
    Select the Date Range (Year to Date is the default)
    This report will look something like this:
    All uncategorized transactions will appear under either or both Income and Expenses sections as first category, Uncategorized.
    Click the "+" button to see Transaction Detail.
    Double-click one of the shown transactions to see it in the register and work with it.
    Or right-click one of the transactions and select an option from the popup menu.
    After changing a transaction, the report view will refresh to show what's left to do.
  • Charles Herget
    Charles Herget Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. The directions that you gave have always given me the correct results in the past. However, I just updated to the latest version of Quicken and the problem started. I followed the directions that you gave, and the report listed many transactions uncategorized that have categories listed in the register. Even though most transactions in some category, e.g. gasoline, are listed correctly, there are some with the same category in the register listed as uncategorized in the report. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing with the same result.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uninstalling/ reinstalling, rinse and repeat, won't help if the problem is caused by a damaged Quicken data file.
    Try Step (2) of this procedure, as described here: Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems
    If this doesn't resolve the issue, you have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data