Can't turn off auto renewal

CharPatton
CharPatton Member ✭✭
Hi:

There seem to be a few posts about this without an obvious answer.

I'm trying out Quicken for a year and wish to turn off the AutoRenew "feature".

The posts say to do this ("Quicken.png"):

But here's what I see (even after waiting 3 days, logging out, and logging back in several times) ("me.png") (clicking on the 3 options doesn't seem to bring up and windows to turn off AutoRenew):

How do I turn off "Autorenew" (without wasting time calling)?

Thank you!

Best Answers

• CharPatton
    CharPatton Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for following up!
    Chat still didn't work, but I had a quick 5' call to phone support and the guy was great and turned it off.
    Best.

Answers

• CharPatton
    CharPatton Member ✭✭
    Most importantly, thank you for replying!

I guess I'll have to waste more time doing something to respond to business practices (automatic renewal with presumed purposeful difficulty in opting out) that are IMHO unethical.

The product seems nice, but why can't American corporations behave in an honourable fashion?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak to your particular situation.  I do know that when I first subscribed a little over a year ago I was given the opportunity to select either auto-renew or not.  I opted not to auto-renew and my account reflects that.  I also know others have posted here that they were able to update their accounts to not auto-renew so maybe it is an anomaly?  I also know that others have posted other issues with their Quicken.com accounts, like not showing the correct subscription end date, so maybe there are some underlying issues with Quicken.com account management?  I don't know but I don't think that these kinds of issues are intentional.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @CharPatton

Thank you for reaching out on the community. I just wanted to let you know the reason you're currently unable to find the turn off auto renew button is because you currently have no card attached to your quicken account. If you purchased it from a retail store you put in a code to activate the product and would of never added a card to the account. While it does say auto renew is on there's nothing for it to be charged to.

Hope this helps out! 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• CharPatton
    CharPatton Member ✭✭
    Hi Francisco:

Thank you for replying on behalf of Quicken; I appreciate it!

I tried contacting Quicken via Chat but right now the link doesn't work (nothing happens when I click) ("deadlink.png").

I most definitely did buy directly from Quicken. If you search for other posts, you will see my AmX statement. I unfortunately, had a purchase glitch that took way too much time to get sorted out on Chat a few days ago (but the agent who worked with me was awesome; no complaints there!); I'm not sure if the problem was on my end or yours, but he eventually got Quicken running. He did search for my credit card purchase and found the charge.

Equally unfortunately (but no fault of yours), it looks like there are other posts of people in the same boat as me: they cannot turn off their autorenew.

Why would I provide my credit card again now? If you can promise me that there will be no autorenew then I won't waste any more time on this, but this purchase process has been a bit of a nightmare and I'm worried that in a year's time some other issue will come up and I will be charged again and have to waste more time dealing with it.

This is nothing against the product itself; I love Quicken 2007 for Mac but figure it is probably time to upgrade to a Catalina concordant version (versus just continuing to run Quicken 2007 in a VM, the other option). I'd just like to feel that I can buy the product and use it for a year without entering into a long term subscription contract without being asked to explicitly do so (autorenew was all default behaviour on Quicken's part for this purchase).

Please see:
    https://www.inc.com/andrew-griffiths/how-ethical-is-your-auto-renew-policy.html
    https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2017/02/27/didnt-see-that-renewal-notice-some-states-are-trying-to-help
    https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/auto-renewals-endless-charges-complaints-1282.php

Anything you can do to fix this (simply turn off autorenew under my account) would be most greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @CharPatton

Thank you for the information. I do understand your reasons for wanting it off. That being said I was about to take a look to turn it off but it looks like you were able to get in touch with that and get it turned off. It's showing off on our end so if you just want to double check and make sure it's looking good on yours as well please do so. That is an odd glitch though since it's not one I ever saw in my times on the phones. 

I hope you have a great rest of your day!

-Quicken Francisco
  • CharPatton
    CharPatton Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for following up!
    Chat still didn't work, but I had a quick 5' call to phone support and the guy was great and turned it off.
    Best.
This discussion has been closed.