New Mortgage Account -- Needs to be Manual -- can't add transactions

Options
Hi -- I've set up a new mortgage account, but there is no "+" anywhere to add new entries to add manual updates (ie monthly payments, which can differ, because I add what I can to the principal). Thanks

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    When you setup your mortgage, did you have it setup a paying transaction from say a checking account? That is where you would adjust the amount you paid to P&I when marking that scheduled transaction as paid.

You can also convert you mortgage over to straight liability account where you would do everything manually. (It would have total register transaction entry.)

Post back with answers about how this is setup/how you wish to proceed. 
  • tm
    tm Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi -- thanks but no I didn't set it up to pay from an account as I want it to be independent. I've tried changing it from "mortgage" to "loan" and other types -- still no plus sign to enter transactions.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    If you wish to still use the Mortgage tool, you can enter transactions manually in the register using command+n. You can also specify the transfer there via the Category field.

If you decide later you still want a scheduled transaction for this, you can do so via Edit Loan and Payment Terms:Bill reminder. I suggest using the detailed option so that the P&I is split. You can always change the paying account when you mark the transaction as paid in the Mortgage/Payments window.

If you want to convert this to a straight Liability account (which is perhaps what you really want to do), then you can click on the Gear icon at the upper right of the Loan window to access that account's settings. There is a "Convert to Liability" button there that will strip out all the loan amortization/calculation of interest.

Some users prefer this as it gives you 100% manual control.

This discussion has been closed.