Error in opening old quicken file from old iMac to new Macbook Pro

Options
Just bought a new Macbook Pro with MacOS 10.15 Catalina. Old iMac 10.10 Yosemite and Quicken Essentials (2010-2013). Purchased Quicken Deluxe for Mac 2020, thinking it would be an easy migration. Made a backup on old Mac and copied to new desktop. Tried to open it and received error messages. The order form did not indicate there would be a problem. What am I missing? I can't be without my Quicken and my old computer is fading fast. HELP!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    What error messages?

You shouldn't have any issues opening an Essentials file in the newer versions of Quicken for Mac. 2015-2020 all will import that file format, assuming it is healthy.
  • ruhlette
    ruhlette Member ✭✭
    Options
    The error message asked to provide more details to Intuit. I'm not sure why my file wouldn't be healthy. I'll try again and screen shot the results.
  • ruhlette
    ruhlette Member ✭✭
    Options
    The conversion instructions say to open Quicken Essentials and update my online accounts. I didn't use online accounts, I manually entered my transactions. Will this make a difference?
  • ruhlette
    ruhlette Member ✭✭
    Options
    The first file I tried was a "backup" of the current datafile. I thought maybe I should be making the .quickendata file the file to use. Tried it, with the same results. On the old iMac I tried to look for Updates and got "Update Error! An error occurred in retrieving update information. Please try again later." Using the duplicate "quickendata file", not a backup, the message reads "An error occurred duirng persistent store migration." The final error message reads, " The document "xxx copy.quicken" could not be opend. Choose Quicken>Check for Updates to make sure you have the latest version of Quicken. You are currently using version 5.16.1." This does not match what my computer "about Quicken" shows. My old Mac with Quicken Essentials shows v. 1.7.4 (Build 4.7362.400) 2010-2013.
  • John_in_NC
    Options
    Manually entering transactions won't make a difference, and you needn't try to update. Don't worry about that. Even if you did downloaded transactions, you couldn't as that program hasn't been supported for several years.

Are you actually running Quicken for Mac 2020 when you try to import? You shouldn't be getting errors regarding reporting to Intuit as Quicken was divested several years ago. Quicken is a separate company now.

All I meant by "healthy" is that it worked in your older version.

The upgrade is relatively straightforward: you copy your Essentials file to your new MBP. Make sure it is actually copied to that machine. Then, during the new File setup, follow the settings for upgrading from Quicken Essentials. If you get errors, you need to post those:

• ruhlette
    ruhlette Member ✭✭
    Options
    Do I need to install the old Quicken Essentials from my old iMac onto my new Macbook Pro to get it to convert?
  • ruhlette
    ruhlette Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will try again tomorrow. I know it "should work" but something else isn't quite right. My file was healthy and working on the old machine. Thanks for you effort so far.
  • ruhlette
    ruhlette Member ✭✭
    Options
    Success!! I called Customer Support and after going through all the steps I took initially, the resolution was to Export the file to a QXF format. Copied the QXF file to my external drive and placed it on the new MBP desktop. Opened "NEW" file. And the conversion went well, as expected. Now to get used to the very different look. Thanks again, John_in_NC
  • John_in_NC
    Options
    I'm glad you got it working!

It certainly sounds like you had problems with that original file if you had to resort to using QXF. But, that doesn't matter now as you got it working in a fresh, healthy file.

You should find 2020 is evolutionary of Quicken Essentials. Enjoy the added features.
This discussion has been closed.