2nd mortgage what type of account should I use?

Options
2nd mortgage what type of account should I use?

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @albator159,

A second mortgage is simply another mortgage on a property, where the lender has presumably less security in the loan than the primary lender.  However in Quicken you should record it as a mortgage.  For your own purposes in Quicken you can include "(Second Mortgage)" in the account title.

Let me know of you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• albator159
    albator159 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did a house and set value to 0.00 and a mortgage. Would that work?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @albator159,

Presumably, yes that would work.  But there isn't a requirement, in Quicken, that a mortgage loan be associated with a house or any asset.  Quicken has a "routine" that users (especially new users of Quicken) can use that will take you down that path, but you can setup a loan at any time without also entering an asset (in this case a "house").

The easier route is as follows:

1) Click on "Tools" > "Add Account"
    2) In the "Property &Debt section of the pop-up > Click "Loan"
    3) Then either: 
          a) Enter the name of your Loan Provider - and follow the next steps,  OR
          b) Click the "manual loan account" at the bottom of the pop-up
    4) Continue through the process.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.