continuing trouble with duplicate transactions downloading from BFSFCU

Options
Quicken account updates no longer recognize previously downloaded transactions from BFSFCU accounts . Any update by Quicken of BFSFCU accounts duplicates previously transactions downloaded by Quicken for these accounts. The cause appears to be that, starting sometime early August, BFSFCU modified the way it assigns transaction IDs to each downloaded transaction. Downloaded transaction IDs are unique for each download, i.e. each transaction looks different than all previously downloaded transactions because its transaction ID is different. No error messages are generated by this problem.
Quicken's Tyka, a moderator on Quicken community, advised I escalate to Quicken support if the problem continues. So I tried to do that. I was told by Quicken Support that this is a problem caused by BFSFCU and Quicken cannot do anything about it. I was told by BFSFCU that it is Quicken's problem. Stuck.

Answers

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello @will66pu
    Sorry to hear about this duplicate download difficulty.

"The cause appears to be that... BFSFCU modified the way it assigns transaction IDs to each downloaded transaction. Downloaded transaction IDs are unique for each download, i.e. each transaction looks different than all previously downloaded transactions because its transaction ID is different."

You stated the problem, and likely cause, very well and correctly. 

As far as Quicken can tell, the previously downloaded transactions are new transactions, because they have new unique transaction IDs.

By default Quicken will scrub the newly downloaded transaction IDs against all of the previously downloaded transaction IDs.

The Quicken software can't understand the way humans do that the transactions, with new unique transactions IDs, are actually duplicates of previously downloaded transactions that had different transaction IDs. Ergo: it populates your account Register with "new" duplicate transactions.

The Quicken software is only reading and scrubbing the list of transaction IDs. The Financial Institution - BFSFCU in this case (or their service provider) - assigns the transaction IDs.

Let's see if we can help Quicken scrub the downloads better, and if needed, delete duplicates. Please review each step in this article.
    Ultimately, you may have to escalate to the IT Dept at BFSFCU to get this fixed. Due to the complexity of what might be the root cause of this, you might end up contacting support again too.