Mutual fund changed name and ticker symbol

Options
Hello
Back in 2015, one of my MF's was converted by the fund to a different fund name and ticker symbol. In looking at the transaction that I recorded, it wasn't a 1 for 1 exchange.
I'm cleaning this MF up since I have to transfer it to UBS (another thread...), and I see some inconsistencies. I did:
1) Removed the shares of the old fund from account A.
2) Added the shares of the new fund to a new account B. But, I stupidly used the same security and ticker.

What would have been the cleanest way to do this? Should they have stayed in 1 account but how do I enter the change of security from old to new?
thank you

Answers

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If this was simply a change to the symbol and fund name, you could have done that by editing the Security Details to make those changes, no transactions are necessary.

If the fund was converted from class C to class A for example, the best way to do this is to use the Mutual Fund Conversion transaction, which will perform the conversion using the correct ratio.

If the latter was true, keeping the original account and using the conversion transaction would have been the cleanest way to do that.

You can still go back and correct those transactions to cleanup your account.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Rich_M said:
    If the fund was converted from class C to class A for example, the best way to do this is to use the Mutual Fund Conversion transaction, which will perform the conversion using the correct ratio.

If the latter was true, keeping the original account and using the conversion transaction would have been the cleanest way to do that.

You can still go back and correct those transactions to cleanup your account.
    thank you Rich
    It was a conversion from class c to A, and that conversion transaction worked delightfully.