Split Dollar Amount in Report by Multiple Tags for a Transaction Line

My example: I enter a single line transaction with payee (i.e. McDonalds), category (Dining Out), then use multiple Tags for each of us in the family (i.e. Dad:Mom:Child1:Child2:Child3). If I run a report to see all expenses for Child1, it shows this payee (McDonalds) with the total amount spent instead of 1/5 of the amount. Is there a way to have Quicken automatically make this type of calculation without having to create this transaction with 5 split lines (a split line for each Tag using 1/5 the amount)? If this is not possible, what is the point of having multiple Tags if each is getting assigned the full amount? I would really rather not have to go back thru multiple years of entries and manually split each out to individually Tag in a split.... Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way to split the expense to each tag in any proportion.
    If this is not possible, what is the point of having multiple Tags if each is getting assigned the full amount? 
    Consider an Auto:Gas expense tagged to Vacation/2020/California.  I am associating all of that gas expense to a vacation expense, a 2020 expense, and a California trip (as opposed to Texas or New York).  Breaking such an expense proportionately would not make any sense.  Or tags might associate an expense to a property specifically and a broader overall project (reroofing).    

• EdR2
    EdR2 Member ✭✭
    That's what I was afraid of....

I think a nice enhancement would be a check-box or something per transaction/split-line that would proportionate the expense across each Tag. Un-checked it would work as it does now.

Any way to automatically create 5 split lines, each 1/5 the total?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any way to automatically create 5 split lines, each 1/5 the total?

Not that I know of. 

I realize your example was just an example, but there is a risk of too much detail. I’ve heard of people splitting grocery bills by vegetables, meat, etc and then wanting to allocate the sales tax to each item.  For me too much detail clouds the view. YMMV. 

• EdR2
    EdR2 Member ✭✭
    OK. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.