Updated process for automatic backup preferences is needed

2»

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Rich_M said:
    @jrich75 At least it's imposing a reasonable limit on the backups.
    Agreed.  As long as there is some limiting number, it should be manageable. 
    I'm am glad I don't have a huge data file with a relative small SSD drive.  

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    For whatever it's worth, I've noticed for quite a while that I always have more automatic backups than I ask for (excluding backups made when Quicken updates itself). Found something interesting. For the longest while I've had 60 backups even though I tried several lower numbers. I raised the number of backups to 99 and opened and closed quicken two times. The number of backups increased by two to 62. I guess that's expected. Then I lowered the number to 10. After opening and closing quicken a few more times, the number of backups stayed at 62. (BTW, I waited at least a minute between opening and closing of Quicken so that the time on the backup file name would be different.)

Then I tried another experiment. I left the number of backups at 10 in the preferences. I manually deleted the 4 oldest backups leaving 58 in the backup folder. I ran Quicken a few more times. The total number of backups stayed at 58.

Looks like, at least in my case, the number of backups may be determined by either the requested number of backups or the actual number in the backup folder, **whichever is greater**.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Interesting.  That seems to be the case for me as well.  If I delete a few backups so that there are 17 instead of 20.  The total number stays at 17 when new ones are created.  So, if you reduce the preference maximum, you also need to manually delete the extra ones from the Backup folder for the preference to work going forward.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

This discussion has been closed.