R30.10 Can not enter manual sale of security transaction - says no shares to sell.

linehant
linehant Member ✭✭
edited November 2020 in Investing (Windows)
When I try to enter a sale transaction of a common stock into Quicken the software disallows the sale telling me that there are no shares to sell. When I look at the Portfolio listing for the account in Quicken, the shares ARE there. But I cannot enter a sale transaction to remove them.

When I run a one-step update for the brokerage account, the transactions (which exist in the brokerage account) do not appear in Quicken and Quicken tells me that its holdings do not match those reported by the brokerage (which is true since the shares were sold out of the brokerage account, but Quicken refuses to let me enter a corresponding sales transaction).

How do I enter manually enter a sale transaction in Quicken?

Best Answer

• linehant
    linehant Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Found the problem. Some years back there was a minor change in the spelling of the security name. The holding was "known" under the old name. The security list and all other displays were showing only the new name. Was able to get a sale entered when typed **exactly** the spelling and punctuation of the old name.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    have you tried running a file validation first to ensure all the lots are correctly accounted for? 
  • linehant
    linehant Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Found the problem. Some years back there was a minor change in the spelling of the security name. The holding was "known" under the old name. The security list and all other displays were showing only the new name. Was able to get a sale entered when typed **exactly** the spelling and punctuation of the old name.