6.0.3 (Mac) Chase doubles some securities transaction downloads

Options
Two related download errors happen when downloading Chase investment transactions. (1) (easy to detect) some "dividend" or "long term cap gain" entries double and related "buy" entries (reinvesting these) double, and (2) (hard to detect) a "buy" transaction adds that amount of shares both to the lot assigned to the buy day AND to the original account-initialization share amount. For example, if security ABC started in March with 1,000 shares, a "buy" transaction that reinvested dividends of 10 shares on 12/15/2020 would show an entry of 10 shares for that day, and also boost the original March lot by 10 shares (erroneously showing today's total of 1,020 shares that should be 1,010 shares).

I fix error (1) through visual inspection and deletion (annoying). I partially fix error (2) with a manual "remove shares" transaction on the "buy" day (annoying, and creates account history errors overstating historical account values).

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Investments are Direct Connect, so duplicates are coming from Chase/JPMorgan. I know the finger pointing doesn't help you, but Quicken is simply presenting the data it is getting.

I think your first problem (1) is easy to figure out, and the 2 one (from what I can follow) is the Placeholder transaction at the beginning of the register adjusting to compensate from positions held in your Quicken file versus what is reported from Chase.  

If you have duplicate transactions (1) coming through, then you won't have any other option other than deleting them. As for the placeholder, instead of changing it, I would give it a day or two and see if things correct themselves as Chase updates its records/what it pushes out to Quicken. I have several instances where a Buy transaction for that day reflects as downloaded transaction, but the FI has updated total shares held (this, creating a placeholder). I could delete, but I just wait to next day, and placeholder goes away when records updated.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Investments are Direct Connect, so duplicates are coming from Chase/JPMorgan. I know the finger pointing doesn't help you, but Quicken is simply presenting the data it is getting.

I think your first problem (1) is easy to figure out, and the 2 one (from what I can follow) is the Placeholder transaction at the beginning of the register adjusting to compensate from positions held in your Quicken file versus what is reported from Chase.  

If you have duplicate transactions (1) coming through, then you won't have any other option other than deleting them. As for the placeholder, instead of changing it, I would give it a day or two and see if things correct themselves as Chase updates its records/what it pushes out to Quicken. I have several instances where a Buy transaction for that day reflects as downloaded transaction, but the FI has updated total shares held (this, creating a placeholder). I could delete, but I just wait to next day, and placeholder goes away when records updated.
This discussion has been closed.