Features from QMac 2007 Seem to be Missing from QMac 2020

Options
nello
nello Member ✭✭
I just bought Quicken 2020 so that I can use Quicken with MacOS Catalina (64-bit app) :(

Several Quicken 2007 features seem to be missing:

1 Transfer Between Registers

In Quicken 2007 it was possible to enter a transaction that would transfer an amount from one register to another. And the entries in each register would stay linked so that changing the amount in one register would change the amount in the amount in the related entry in the other register. This was very useful for recording transfers from one bank account to another.

I can't find a way to do the same in Quicken 2020.

2. Open Multiple Registers at the Same Time

In Quicken 2007 it was possible to open an account in its own window so that you could view multiple registers at the same time. This was very useful for examining transactions that moved funds from one registered to another.

I can't find a way to do this in Quicken 2020.

3. Move Transactions Between Accounts

In Quicken 2007 under the Edit Menu there was a Move option that would move a transaction from one Account to another Account. It was useful for correcting data entry errors.

I can't find a way to move transactions in Quicken 2020.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Nothing missing - just different:

1.  Transfers are still linked.  Enter one side of the transfer and in the Category drop-down, select Transfer > [other account].  Changing either of the two entries modifies the other.

2.  Multiple registers at the same time.  You can have every register open at once in its own window.  Only one register at a time shows in the main window.  Just double-click the account in the left panel to open a floating register window.

3.  Move transactions between accounts.  With both registers displayed, drag the transaction from one to the other.  If it is a downloaded transaction, you'll get a warning.  You cannot, however, move transactions between investment accounts.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    One quicken addendum to the accurate reply by @MontanaKarl

For #3 (moving transactions between accounts), you don't have to have both registers visible. Open the register which currently has the transaction(s) you want to move. Click it (or shift-click or Command-click to select multiple transactions), and simply drag to the destination account in the left sidebar. The transactions will move. Even  easier than good ol' Quicken 2007. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Nothing missing - just different:

1.  Transfers are still linked.  Enter one side of the transfer and in the Category drop-down, select Transfer > [other account].  Changing either of the two entries modifies the other.

2.  Multiple registers at the same time.  You can have every register open at once in its own window.  Only one register at a time shows in the main window.  Just double-click the account in the left panel to open a floating register window.

3.  Move transactions between accounts.  With both registers displayed, drag the transaction from one to the other.  If it is a downloaded transaction, you'll get a warning.  You cannot, however, move transactions between investment accounts.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Polo
    Polo Member
    Options
    Hi not sure if by register you mean account.
    If that is not the case then apologies.

Regarding 1.
    If I am in Account A and want to move money to Account B then within Account A I can enter a transaction that has as category [Account B] which will generate a transfer to Account B. That transaction remains linked and the value can be changed in either accounts.
    If I simply click in category in the pop-up many there is one the categories I can select and on the left there is an option to choose transfers and see the accounts I can transfer to

Regarding 2.
    No idea

Regarding 3
    If I right click on a transaction I can select to move it to another account.

I have gone through various Quicken version (first one 2006) and as far as I recall the above as remained the same throughout - which is why I wonder if I do not understand what "register" is.
  • Polo
    Polo Member
    Options
    Apologies just realized I am in the Mac forum - I have always used windows so this might not help you at all
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    One quicken addendum to the accurate reply by @MontanaKarl

For #3 (moving transactions between accounts), you don't have to have both registers visible. Open the register which currently has the transaction(s) you want to move. Click it (or shift-click or Command-click to select multiple transactions), and simply drag to the destination account in the left sidebar. The transactions will move. Even  easier than good ol' Quicken 2007. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [EDIT] to the topic text typo 2000 -> 2020 - and added QMac for the quick readers

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.