Existing accounts can't be linked to Online Accounts

morrisod
morrisod Member ✭✭
*Update* - I was able to get this resolved. I didn't have to actually select the account that I wanted to link to. I just selected the "Link to existing account" option without selecting an account in the list.

I have a checking account that was linked online. I was downloading transactions from US Bank. The downloads stopped. I tried resetting the account in Quicken, but it didn't help. I deactivated the account. Now when I try setting it back up, I'm not able to link the Online account to my Quicken account. The account is missing from the list of accounts that can be linked. I've setup a new Quicken account and it does show up in the list. Any idea why the account would be missing from the list of accounts that could be linked?

Answers

• Greg-Kailua
    Greg-Kailua Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [Removed-Duplicate]
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Premier Version R30.21 Build 27.1.30.21

I have an existing account three securities. For years I have made manual entries. The securities are from T Rowe Price. When I attempt to "link the securities" to the account I encountered a problem.

Only one of the securities can be "Linked to an existing Account". When I try to 'link' the second and third security, the Account is no longer present in the list-box.
    Quicken Windows Subscription: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2.
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @FredArthur You "link" accounts not securities.  If you have an account with three securities in it, then you are linking that one account, and when downloaded you will get transactions that have given securities in them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW
    Thank you for your response. I probably didn't use the correct nomenclature but I understand what you are saying. What confused me is the following; I have an existing Quicken 'brokerage account'. After selecting that account I chose "set up download". I followed the sequence of screens, chose my mutual fund and entered my credentials.

The login to my mutual fund completed and a window (Add Account) with my mutual fund name was displayed. (See below.) The request returned three rows; one for each of the 3 accounts I have in that mutual fund; this mutual fund assigns an account number to each of the securities it offers. I believe this is where the confusion lies.

Continuing, I 'linked' first fund number to my Quicken account. However, I can not do the same for the remaining two fund numbers because the Quicken account is no longer in the drop-down.

I think, from what you are saying, I need only link the first fund account number to the Quicken account and ignore the others. Do you agree?

(I tried that - expecting at worst - only one of the securities would be downloaded; none where. The mutual fund claims it supports Quicken Direct Connect. Oh well, I will speak with them on a business day.)
    Quicken Windows Subscription: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2.
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think having Quicken support walk through it with you might be the best bet.  They can screen share with you and see what you see.

What I will say is that depending on how the financial institution sets things up, it is possible to have accounts that only have one account per security.  And if the financial institution forces that you usually have to go with it even though it is better to just have all the securities in one account.  Now if that happens then you in fact have to have an account for each security, but it sounds like there is only one created at that point.  Then there should an option for the other two that is "Add to Quicken" where Quicken will add a new account for you.

Note any investment account is either Direct Connect and/or Web Connect (download import a QFX file), because Express Web Connect doesn't support investment accounts.  And the very fact that you could log in and connect means that yes they do support Direct Connect.

Note it might be possible to get the financial institution to change from having a security per account to one account with all the securities in it.  Vanguard for instance allows for both.  I don't know how they switch, but people have said that they do support both.  I think the default though is all the securities in one account.  You would have to ask them about that (and Quicken support might be able to help).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.