Problem with Quicken doubling payments for two divisions of the same company

I work for two different divisions of a company. I must invoice each division separately. Some times the company combines invoices and pays multiple invoices with one payment. In order for Quicken to accept the payment in my bank, I have to add an invoice for the total payment. I need to keep the individual invoices because they contain details of what is being invoiced. In order to get Quicken to show the invoices were paid, I need to enter individual payments for each invoice. The Quicken bank account record that the payment goes into then shows double the amount actually paid. How can I get Quicken to only record the correct amount in the bank and still show that the invoices were paid?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Ralphr,

From what you've said, it seems like you have recorded too many invoices in Quicken because - as you've said: Ralphr said:
    In order for Quicken to accept the payment in my bank, I have to add an invoice for the total payment. 
    But this is AFTER you have already entered individual invoices for each division.

You should not be adding the additional "invoice for the total payment" to Quicken.  Instead, you should be matching the 2 separate invoices to the bank deposit payment for both of them.  The bottom line is that Quicken allows you to "clear" a deposit by linking it to however many invoices the deposit is for.

To fix this situation, you should delete the duplicate invoices that you've entered and your bank account will balance.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ralphr
    Ralphr Member ✭✭
    Frank - Can you instruct me on how to "Clear" payments to two different invoices?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Ralphr,

Here is an example of how a payment for 2 invoices would be applied in Quicken:

This is the recording of the 2 invoices (#30 and #37):

This is the application of 1 check for the 2 invoices:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ralphr
    Ralphr Member ✭✭
    Frank,

I really appreciate your help with this. I haven't yet been able to get what you have suggested to work. I have gone back and deleted any double entries so the bank statement now balances. The next time the company pays two invoices from two different divisions, I will try to handle it as you suggested. I wish there was a way that you could see my screen to see what I am seeing.

I will let you know if I am able to get it to work.

Ralph
This discussion has been closed.