Two Principal 401(k)s

Options
We have two Principal 401(k) accounts (both spouses) set up in Quicken. The first is linked online via Web Connect and works as expected when I download from the Principal site (wish they would support Direct Connect).

When I attempt to link the second, Quicken tries to create a new account and will not link to the existing second account. Since only one account is linked, If I Web Connect download from the second account it always applies the transactions to the first account.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suspect the financial institution is using the same account identifier in both QFX files.  I suggest you contact the financial institution.

I can think of two approaches to work around the issue until the financial institution corrects their issue.  You may deactivate the Online Services of other account before you attempt to import an account or you can edit the QFX file of one of the accounts to provide a unique account identifier.  I prefer the later because it should enable you to discover when the financial institution has corrected the issue and the fix may be scripted.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suspect the financial institution is using the same account identifier in both QFX files.  I suggest you contact the financial institution.

I can think of two approaches to work around the issue until the financial institution corrects their issue.  You may deactivate the Online Services of other account before you attempt to import an account or you can edit the QFX file of one of the accounts to provide a unique account identifier.  I prefer the later because it should enable you to discover when the financial institution has corrected the issue and the fix may be scripted.
  • tailgaters
    tailgaters Member ✭✭
    Options
    Correct, they are sending the same account and customer id for both accounts. Editing the file for the 2nd account did work. I did open a ticket with Principal. Thank you! One step closer.
This discussion has been closed.