How do I remove a tax line item generated by Quicken

I checked the category and a tax line item is not associated. I tried editing individual transactions. Even by selecting the blank line will not remove the tax line. It seems that any payment with a property tag is categorized as Schedule E: Unspecified Rental Expense. The issue is that some of the charges are not eligible for an expense.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Kenny,

Yes, when you use a Rental Property Tag that will cause Quicken to show the item on the Schedule E report as an "Unspecified Rental Expense" item.  I believe this is an intended result to try and insure that any amounts connected to a rental property (by using a tag) are not overlooked when tax time comes around. 

You should note the legend at the bottom of the report - which is as follows:

In addition, if you click on the "Rental Property" link (circled above), it will take you to "Quicken Help" for this topic which is shown below:

Please note the highlighted text at the bottom which indicates if you do not take action the items will NOT be transmitted to a tax prep program.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Kenny,

Yes, when you use a Rental Property Tag that will cause Quicken to show the item on the Schedule E report as an "Unspecified Rental Expense" item.  I believe this is an intended result to try and insure that any amounts connected to a rental property (by using a tag) are not overlooked when tax time comes around. 

You should note the legend at the bottom of the report - which is as follows:

In addition, if you click on the "Rental Property" link (circled above), it will take you to "Quicken Help" for this topic which is shown below:

Please note the highlighted text at the bottom which indicates if you do not take action the items will NOT be transmitted to a tax prep program.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.