Customized Categories - for rental properties in different countries.

MyronD
MyronD Member ✭✭
I have two rental properties in different in different countries.
Can I create two categories one for the local property, called LOCAL (my place of residence) and a second category OVERSEAS for the property overseas.
So that when I get rent and expenses I can categorize them separatory. So that I can see my income and expenses for LOCAL & OVERSEAS for each rental property.

Thanks

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @MyronD

Yes, you can add whatever categories you want and call them whatever you want - and that can be done by going to > the Category List and then to the > "Rental Property Expense" section > and then "right-clicking" on "Taxes (Rental) and selecting "New subcategory".

However you should also keep in mind that you should already have setup two separate properties in Quicken (one in the US and the other Overseas) and therefore your should be tracking all income and expenses separately for each property.  So, until you get your third property, the designations "US" and "Overseas" (and the related subcategories) are probably not absolutely required for you to be able to distinguish US from Overseas for now.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• CLHobbs56
    CLHobbs56 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Even if you don't have the Rental Property version of Quicken, you can still separate your properties by "Tag".

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @MyronD

Yes, you can add whatever categories you want and call them whatever you want - and that can be done by going to > the Category List and then to the > "Rental Property Expense" section > and then "right-clicking" on "Taxes (Rental) and selecting "New subcategory".

However you should also keep in mind that you should already have setup two separate properties in Quicken (one in the US and the other Overseas) and therefore your should be tracking all income and expenses separately for each property.  So, until you get your third property, the designations "US" and "Overseas" (and the related subcategories) are probably not absolutely required for you to be able to distinguish US from Overseas for now.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• CLHobbs56
    CLHobbs56 Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @MyronD
    >
    > However you should also keep in mind that you should already have setup two separate properties in Quicken (one in the US and the other Overseas) and therefore your should be tracking all income and expenses separately for each property. 

By doing what @Frankx suggests, it should create a "Tag" for each property. This way you can use all of the existing or new "Categories" such as supplies, tools, Rent Received, Security Deposit, etc. for both properties and they will be separated by their respective "Tag".
  • CLHobbs56
    CLHobbs56 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Even if you don't have the Rental Property version of Quicken, you can still separate your properties by "Tag".
This discussion has been closed.