Investment - "Bought" not changing cash balance

I set up an investment account - I have a SoFi account and put $20 into it and bought one share of a stock. After setting it up, the Cash Amt is showing "N/A" on the transaction even though there's no placeholder entries and I used "Bought" and not "BoughtX" for the transaction type. Cash balance still shows $20 for the account.

There are literally two transactions:

Clr Date Action Security Description Share Bal Inv. Amt Cash Amt Cash Bal Memo Xfer Acct
R 2/2/2021 XIn Opening Cash Balance 20.00 +20.00 20.00 Memo [SoFi Money]

Clr Date Action Security Shares Price Comm/Fee Share Bal Inv. Amt Cash Amt Cash Bal Memo Xfer Acct
2/2/2021 Bought Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc 1 14.94 Comm/Fee 14.94 <af href=http://qw.exe/qw?help=47178>N/A</a> 20.00 Memo

Anything I'm missing as to why this isn't working?

Best Answer

• Dustin Wengert
    Dustin Wengert Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That didn't help, but since I only had the two transactions, I just deleted it and set it up over again. It worked when I left everything at 0 for setup and then added the stock purchase later. I think there might be an issue with placeholder entries not being deleted and still being hidden when setting up with a stock as part of the setup of the investment account. Either way, deleting and starting over with 0s entered at setup and entering the data afterward worked.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you describe should not happen. I entered your 2 transactions exactly into a test account in a test file and could not reproduce it. My account's balance decreased properly.
    I would try deleting the Bought transaction, closing and restarting Quicken, and re-entering the transaction. If the problem persists across sessions, you may have file corruption which will need troubleshooting.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Dustin Wengert
    Dustin Wengert Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That didn't help, but since I only had the two transactions, I just deleted it and set it up over again. It worked when I left everything at 0 for setup and then added the stock purchase later. I think there might be an issue with placeholder entries not being deleted and still being hidden when setting up with a stock as part of the setup of the investment account. Either way, deleting and starting over with 0s entered at setup and entering the data afterward worked.
  • acaruso1011
    acaruso1011 Member ✭✭
    I am having this EXACT same issue. I have tried it multiple ways but CANNOT get the transaction to record correctly. I have tried the BOUGHTX function, yet it will not remove funds from the Transfer account. I have also tried transferring funds in a single transaction (which works correctly) however now when I try to enter the stock purchase "FROM THIS ACCOUNT's BALANCE" is does not reduce the cash balance and I also get the "N/A". Very frustrating and out of options. Can anyone help?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that "N/A" always indicates a placeholder. I don't know why Quicken would create one in this situation. Make sure you can see them by going to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions > Show hidden transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.