Comparing Annual Budgets (Report?)

Is there a method to develop a report that compares (only) YTY budget categories?  

e.g. in the same format as the "actual vs budget" report that has columns for "Actual", "2020 Budget" and "Difference"; is there a report that would show columns for "2020 Budget", "2021 Budget" and "Difference"?

I'm trying to find a quick view of YTY budgets to see which categories are contributing to the total of increases/decreases.

TIA

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @MattT,

I just want to understand what you are looking for in a report. 

You said "I'm trying to find a quick view of YTY budgets to see which categories are contributing to the total of increases/decreases."  I am thinking that perhaps you are looking for Year-To-Year Actuals... - rather than budgets, since the budgets are static and you could have - and likely did - look at the 2 year comparison at the time you developed the most recent year budget numbers.

Does that make sense?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @MattT,

I just want to understand what you are looking for in a report. 

You said "I'm trying to find a quick view of YTY budgets to see which categories are contributing to the total of increases/decreases."  I am thinking that perhaps you are looking for Year-To-Year Actuals... - rather than budgets, since the budgets are static and you could have - and likely did - look at the 2 year comparison at the time you developed the most recent year budget numbers.

Does that make sense?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Howdy Frankx,

Yes, I get what you're saying and thank you.  I forgot about the YTY comparison report actually.  That's wasn't entirely what I was looking for at the moment I posted the question, but after reading your response, looking at the report and re-thinking what my ultimate objective was with each year's budget, I have concluded that what I am really analyzing each year, is how will this year's expenses compare to last year. 

As such, I think what I'll do is set my current year budget to last year's expenses by category, possibly adding a bit for inflation or reducing if I know a category had an exceptional, generally non-recurring expense last year.  Via that method, I can see where I am today compared to same date a year ago.  I haven't fully investigated the YTY actuals report you suggested to know if it will show me a comparison of actuals as of mm/dd [date] each year.  At first glance, it does not appear to, however, I haven't looked at all the features yet.

Thanks again!

BR
This discussion has been closed.