Error message - "Please verify there is enough room in your temp folder"

Options
pauldbrown
pauldbrown Member ✭✭
I have a very large data file (377MB). I created a new budget for 2021 and after an hour of working with it, I got a popup message saying something like this "please verify there is enough room in your temp folder" with an ok button. Clicking on ok, closed quicken. When reentering Quicken all my budget data was gone, even prior budgets.

Has anyone seen anything like this?
Is it because my data file is too large?

I open a chat with quicken help and after 90 minutes they gave up on me and told me to contact a local IT dep. :(

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a very large data file (377MB).
    1 - what version ..... Help --> About Quicken
    2 - why such a large QDF file - do you use "attachments" or "scans" ?
    3 - what do your Quicken stats show ...... Help --> (hold shift) About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• pauldbrown
    pauldbrown Member ✭✭
    Options
    1) Quicken Deluxe R31
    2) I have never archived because I have been afraid of losing historical information, especially on investments. I plan on archiving later this week for the first time. Will need to do a little research before I do that.
    3) I have include an image of my stats below

Thanks for any help.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @pauldbrown

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. If you'd like some assistance with archiving for the first time I would recommend Quicken Support via phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so. This will help the agent guide you. I'll leave hours down below as well so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please verify this:

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ e.g., C:\Temp (or create one) and reboot Windows.
    If the Temp folder is located on a too-small SSD C: - drive and you have an internal standard hard disk, too, move the Temp folder to the internal hard disk.

If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Run CHKDSK /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab).

This discussion has been closed.