How can I find my Quicken backups (Q Mac)

Options
Richard Holub
Richard Holub Member ✭✭
I just upgraded my 2018 MacBook Pro from Mojave to Big Sur and my Quicken program has all my bank account information messed up. All my accounts appear as if I am -$40,000 short. I noticed that if I go all the way down till I see my first 2016 entry there are several 2021 entries below 2016. I checked and they are duplicate entries from up above 2021. I deleted these erroneous entries and now my balance is closer to the actual bank statement. I entered a new deposit and it got registered all the way down at the bottom below the 2016 entries. Anybody know what is happening to my program? This problem only happened to one of my bank accounts.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Richard, Your situation is complex enough that I don't think I'm going to be able to help you without seeing live what is happening. I suggest you contact Quicken Support. They can screen share with you and hopefully see exactly what's going on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    Options
    Is your register sorted by Date? Click the Date column to sort by Date. Click it again to reverse the sort. You will see a little up/down arrow in the column header for whichever column is being sorted by. 

The only way you should see transactions out of order is if the register is not sorted by Date. This would make the running balance not make sense. Sounds like this might be the issue.

The other remote possibility is that there are transactions that are actually dated in 1921 instead of 2021. To see this, double click a transaction. You will see the full four digit date (make sure the Date column is wide enough).

Another thing to check is in macOS System Preferences > Language & Region > Advanced > Dates, make sure you are using the default date formats. Quicken uses these to control how dates are displayed.

Finally, search the register for a Live Opening Balance. These can get wonky and mess up the account balance. If that's the issue, then just replace that transaction with a fixed Opening Balance transaction with the correct number.

To answer your title question: click menu File > Show Backups Backups in Finder. This will take you straight to your backup file folder.
  • Richard Holub
    Richard Holub Member ✭✭
    Options
    My register is sorted by date. I did find the "backups" but all ~20 of them are a copy of my screwed up present files and only minutes apart. The "Live Opening Balances" are all wrong but there are also other mistakes.
    1 - I found ~10 payments of $3,000.00 to one of my credit cars. I never paid that much. I deleted those entries but the total is still way off.
    2 - I tried to add a payment for Netflix dated 03/02/21 and I searched all the way down the list of entries till I got to 02/13/20. So now it shows "02/13/20" - "03/02/21" - "02/14/20". That is impossible!
    3 - I added several other entries that cleared one of my accounts but all the entries ended at the bottom of everything going back to 2016. Each time I add an entry the program sends me down to the bottom of the list at which time I have to click and drag the small icon on the right side of the page to bring me back up to the top.
    4 - I have one bank which I frequently transfer money from one account to the other. The problem is that one account already has the entry of "a transfer" but the other does not. So, when I add the transfer to that account now I have 2 entries in the other account.
  • Richard Holub
    Richard Holub Member ✭✭
    Options
    RickO, one other thing that I just noticed. I am trying to correct a "Medicare" payment dated 02/20/21. I click on it and it sends me down to an old Medicare payment dated 03/20/20. I don't want to correct the payment for 03/20/20, I want to correct 02/20/21. I can't figure out what is going on with this program.
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Richard, Your situation is complex enough that I don't think I'm going to be able to help you without seeing live what is happening. I suggest you contact Quicken Support. They can screen share with you and hopefully see exactly what's going on.
This discussion has been closed.