How does one create transacton for a Corporate Acqusistion (merger) in Quicken 2021 for Mac

Options
I recently purchased Quicken 2021 for Mac. There does not be an option in transactions in Quicken 2021 for Mac to account for a merger - Company A buys Company B is a stock for stock tax-free merger. I' wondering if anyone knows how to do this and keep the correct cost basis. Thank you.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @ANDREWTSUTPHIN

Unfortunately, Quicken Mac doesn't have the same features that Quicken Windows has for corporate mergers and other organizational transactions that companies sometimes engage in.  However, here's a LINK to another post in the Community - after you open it - page down to the last post (by "jz") and open the attachment which is titled "quicken for mac merger example and request for enhancement.pdf".  This a step-by-step workaround that a Quicken user put together to help other Quicken Mac users to record such transactions.  I have not had the need to use it (I am a Q Windows user) but this appears to be an excellent set of instructions.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• ANDREWTSUTPHIN
    ANDREWTSUTPHIN Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Frankx,

Thank you for your response, I am grateful.

I used Quicken 2007 for Mac which had all the Corporate Action transaction features - it's too bad nearly 15 years later Quicken 2021 for Mac has lost all these terrific features.

I went back and used Quicken 2007 for Mac to create a simulation - including the a merger where one receives cash in lieu of fractional shares.

Quicken 2007 for Mac was the best program for Mac users. It's unfortunate that 64-bit encryption will technologically obsolesce it. Perhaps, Quicken's new owners will answer the challenge to incorporate Quicken 2007's features across all Quicken 2021 platforms.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Andy

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @ANDREWTSUTPHIN

Unfortunately, Quicken Mac doesn't have the same features that Quicken Windows has for corporate mergers and other organizational transactions that companies sometimes engage in.  However, here's a LINK to another post in the Community - after you open it - page down to the last post (by "jz") and open the attachment which is titled "quicken for mac merger example and request for enhancement.pdf".  This a step-by-step workaround that a Quicken user put together to help other Quicken Mac users to record such transactions.  I have not had the need to use it (I am a Q Windows user) but this appears to be an excellent set of instructions.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• ANDREWTSUTPHIN
    ANDREWTSUTPHIN Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Frankx,

Thank you for your response, I am grateful.

I used Quicken 2007 for Mac which had all the Corporate Action transaction features - it's too bad nearly 15 years later Quicken 2021 for Mac has lost all these terrific features.

I went back and used Quicken 2007 for Mac to create a simulation - including the a merger where one receives cash in lieu of fractional shares.

Quicken 2007 for Mac was the best program for Mac users. It's unfortunate that 64-bit encryption will technologically obsolesce it. Perhaps, Quicken's new owners will answer the challenge to incorporate Quicken 2007's features across all Quicken 2021 platforms.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Andy
  • Jerry Pagliari
    Jerry Pagliari Member ✭✭
    Options
    Frankx, can you post that link again, please. I could use it too!
This discussion has been closed.