Memorize Payees

Options
wadegraham
wadegraham Member
When I memorize a payee I have to continue to memorize the payee each time. For instance Bank of American online- memorize payee- Catagory- Credit card Payment. Yet I have to each month it is uncategorized again?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For @wadegraham 's issue I recommend using Scheduled Reminders for the credit card payments and recording them a couple of days prior to the due date. This way, a correctly named and categorized transaction is already available to match the downloaded transactions to.
    For @SusieQ2 's issue I recommend looking at Renaming Rules. A rule for Payee Name "Jones Boutique" with "If payee contains 'Jones Boutique'" should work fine, provided that all Preferences option settings (as described earlier in this discussion) are properly enabled. A Memorized Payee List entry for "Jones Boutique", correctly categorized, etc. and marked as "Lock this entry" should then give the desired results
    And @M - N Putzer 's issue should be resolved by setting up an MPL entry with the necessary Name, Category, Memo, etc. and marking it as "Lock this entry". Get rid of any duplicates for the same Payee Name.

Answers

• gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hi @wadegraham
    You can go into Edit > Preferences > Data Entry and Quickfill > put a checkmark on "recall memorized Payees" and Automatically memorize new payees. That will ensure the new payees are generated,
    Then I go into Tools > Memorized Payee list > and check on Lock for the Payee set up I want to use repeatedly. 
    See attached screenshots for additional help.
    Let us know if this does the trick.
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • SusieQ2
    SusieQ2 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, Quicken used to be able to use a key word that came in with a transaction to memorize the payee. My transactions change names each month, though they may always have the word "Jones" in them, for instance, if a payment is made to the Jones Boutique. For the month of May it might import as "5/6/21 Jones Boutique" and for another month it may import as 8/21/21 Jones Boutique Midlothian". Quicken can't seem to function when a key word for recognizing the transaction is needed, so it can be categorized automatically. Why is this so hard to make happen in Quicken?
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have these chosen, and it does memorize them. The issue I'm having is it makes duplicates for the payee list and I end up with numerous for the same payee.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For @wadegraham 's issue I recommend using Scheduled Reminders for the credit card payments and recording them a couple of days prior to the due date. This way, a correctly named and categorized transaction is already available to match the downloaded transactions to.
    For @SusieQ2 's issue I recommend looking at Renaming Rules. A rule for Payee Name "Jones Boutique" with "If payee contains 'Jones Boutique'" should work fine, provided that all Preferences option settings (as described earlier in this discussion) are properly enabled. A Memorized Payee List entry for "Jones Boutique", correctly categorized, etc. and marked as "Lock this entry" should then give the desired results
    And @M - N Putzer 's issue should be resolved by setting up an MPL entry with the necessary Name, Category, Memo, etc. and marking it as "Lock this entry". Get rid of any duplicates for the same Payee Name.
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    This continues - As you can see from attachment, it seems to happen when I get my monthly updates and also everytime we use that entry.
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    This continues to happen, I haven't been able to see a pattern of when it is happening.
This discussion has been closed.