When bond matures how should you categorize transaction downloaded from broker

A Miller
A Miller Member
edited May 18 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Win10 Quicken Premier R32.10. When a bond matures, it is reported as a deposit by my broker and broker calls it a redemption. So, as a deposit it reports as Income and is categorized as Other Inc then it shows up as income in my Spending tab, as if it's Income I have made. It seems as if it needs to be recorded as category _RlzdGain. In fact some dividends that come in as Deposits from this broker also get categorized as Income in my Spending tab. Now the _RlzdGain does not seem quite right either for the bond, since it's not the whole bond value that is a gain, just the difference from what the bond was purchased should be _RlzdGain. How should one deal with Bond redemptions?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a Bonds Sold transaction, replacing whatever transaction downloaded from the broker.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • A Miller
    A Miller Member
    Ok, thanks. But how to characterize them so they are not viewed as Income (wages) rather than as investments. Categorizing them as _RlzdGain, they still show up as Income in the Spending tab. Why?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Miller said:
    But how to characterize them so they are not viewed as Income (wages) rather than as investments. Categorizing them as _RlzdGain, they still show up as Income in the Spending tab. Why?
    I don't know. I don't see any of my bond redemptions under Spending. I just spent several minutes tweaking settings in Spending trying to make them appear, but they don't. Can you attach a screen shot showing what you're seeing?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.