how do i set up a new loan with a down payment?

Options
I am an accountant and i'm confused. What account gets the down payment transaction?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @djboissy,

The down payment gets posted to the as a credit to the cash account.  Here's an example:

House purchased for 100.000.00 with a 25,000.00 downpayment and 75,000.00 mortgage.  Entry is as follows:

(Debit) House a/c (asset acct)                           100,000.00
    (Credit) Mortgage Loan Payable (liability acct.)                      75,000.00     
    (Credit) Checking a/c (asset acct)                                            25,000.00               

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @djboissy,

The down payment gets posted to the as a credit to the cash account.  Here's an example:

House purchased for 100.000.00 with a 25,000.00 downpayment and 75,000.00 mortgage.  Entry is as follows:

(Debit) House a/c (asset acct)                           100,000.00
    (Credit) Mortgage Loan Payable (liability acct.)                      75,000.00     
    (Credit) Checking a/c (asset acct)                                            25,000.00               

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• djboissy
    djboissy Member
    Options
    So set up the loan and a asset, connect the asset, and debit the down payment directly to the asset? (I get the credit is to the cash account)
This discussion has been closed.