How to generate a capital gains report for Mac users

Options
jerryh
jerryh Member ✭✭
edited April 2021 in FAQ'S (Mac)
I'm answering my own question, to post this idea to the community. Quicken Windows users can run a Capital Gains Report. However, there is no standard report for Mac users. (I'm using Quicken Subscription for Mac.) I've found a way to modify the Tax Schedule report to create a Capital Gains Report.

How to create a Capital Gains report with subscription Quicken for Mac:

1. Open the report, Quicken Reports > Tax > Tax Schedule.

2. Choose the option to “Summarize by: Category”.

3. At the top of the window, click on the “Edit” button.

4. In the “Edit Report” window, ensure the Accounts tab is selected and click on the radio button for “Selected accounts”.

5. De-select every account except for the taxable accounts in which you have capital gains (e.g., brokerage accounts, mutual fund accounts, etc.). Do not select any retirement accounts. Click the “OK” button when done.

6. Click on the “Edit” button again.

7. In the “Edit Report” window, ensure the Categories tab is selected and click on the radio button for “Include only transactions with selected categories”.

8. Select those category associated with Investments and Tax Form Schedule D for buying and selling investments (e.g, buy, buy bonds, reinvest long-term capital gain, reinvest short-term capital gain, sell, sell bonds). Do not select short-term capital gain or long-term capital gain, which are distributions and not sales. Click on the “OK” button when done.

9. Click on the “Edit” button again.

10. In the “Edit Report” window, set the “Date range” as desired. Click on the “OK” button when done.

11. At the top of the window, click on the “Save” button and provide a name for the custom report.

You can then export the report as a CSV or TXF file (e.g., to TurboTax).

Remark: as of 2021-04-02, the number of shares is rounded to 2 decimal places in the report. The correct number of shares should be provided to 3 decimal places. This has been reported as a problem to Quicken.